Today I let the Viper name down....

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
there is a real easy fix for your woes and it looks like this

6400IMGP2335-med.JPG

with these you would of ruled that track!!!

vd..

are those kuhmo's?

no they are 345/30/18 bfg drag radials and are much more better than kuhmo's for high hp cars!!!! like my gen 3 viper!

vd..

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
People are assholes when it comes to driving your Viper here Ricky. They'll mock you, make fun of your driving, tell how their friends brothrs' sisters' cousins' '68 camaro could eat you up. All they wanna see is you lose, so just stay at it, practice, and make them eat their words. Don't take anything too seriously, cause honestly, they are jealous of the fact that you're young and have a better car than most of them ever will.

Nico

thats right!!! brother

vd..

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always like to hang her at about 2800rpm and take about 2 seconds to let the clutch out (evenly, smoothly and in one motion, not studdering) Then, when you are hooked up, WOT. Before you hit 2nd, already be pulling ******* the shifter towrads 2nd gear even before you need to hit the clutch and change gears. When you're ready, just smack the clutch hard once and "BAM" you're in 2nd gear.... for 3rd, turn your elbow into your stomach and push hard into where 3rd should go before you need to shift and repeat.... Took me about 2 trips down the track to get the hang of it....

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ricky -

I wouldn't sweat this one in the slightest. Despite the vicious S2000 references (the connection was far too easy for anybody to pass up, even SRT owners), you had several things working against you before you made your first pass:

1. Inexperience launching the Viper. It is a tough car to launch even with experience. With the pressure of a crowd and having never drag raced a Viper before, your results were normal. Although very painful given the competition.

2. Vipers are not great in the 1/8 mile, especially the SRT. With the taller rear tires and stock 3.07 gearing, it takes a little more room to get this car up to its greatest potential. You would have kept it a lot closer in a 1/4 mile race, even with wheel spin. Also note: Expect to lose if you ever autocross an S2000 or many of the "weaker" imports (or Neons). Like the 1/8 mile, most autocross layouts never allow the car to get up to the point where it is lethal to just about all takers.

3. This was not a drag strip or even a well maintained street surface. The pictures show some grass/weeds growing up through the cracks, as well as some uneven surface. The minute those massive tires catch even an inch of space (cracks, etc.), the torque will break them loose almost every time. Get on a prepped track with VHT (to make the car stick on the launch) with few (if any) cracks or bumps, and the car will change 100% for the better.

Bottom line: Get some practice launches in where you can do so in a safe environment. Find a 1/4 track that is fairly well maintained and actually preps the launch area. You will soon harness the demons and put them to work smoking your competition. And you will open up a whole new world of Viper experiences. Enjoy!

Chris

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input and good words guys :2tu:

Chris, the 1/4 mile track is sort of far from me I never get a chance to go out there! I will try to get some more time as soon as my exams are over again! Still haven't gotten around to doing my last coat of Paint protection and then wax!

Ricky

supratime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man i would have smoked that s2000 for ya.. for real though.. just get to practicing and kick his ace next time. Be sure to post back when you do.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually give the other car an 1/8th mile head start to make things even...LOL
Practice...Practice and your launch will get better

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1/8 mile is difficult, particularly if you are running on the stock tires. Whenever I'm racing smaller lighter cars in the 1/4, they will often beat me off the launch, and I don't pass them until we're heading into the home stretch.

Trying to beat a 350hp S2000 in the 1/8 mile on stock tires would be pretty hard to do, I should think. The lighter weight and stickier tires means that he's undoubtedly going to get a better launch, and 1/8 mile isn't enough real estate to reel him back in.

Buy a helmet and drive to your local 1/4 mile track. 1/8 mile really isn't enough to allow your Viper to really run.

A word on tires.
I just used the BFG G-force Drag radials pictured above for the first time. They really do make a difference. My 60 foot times still ****, as I still haven't found the "sweet spot" for a good launch, but I no longer spin the wheels in 2nd. With the BFGs, I was able to knock .2 seconds off of my 1/4 mile e.t., and I'm sure I will be able to do even better with more practice and experimentation with tire pressures.

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whew...When I read your Topic,I thought maybe you got caught with a fat chick.........Why am I picturing Craig climbing the walls in his parents house,trying to post on this thread.....

Ledfoot and Finally Got It,

You guys have me ROFLMAO. Thanks :D