Too early to start planning on my Gen V ACR?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a little oopsies with a deer and a solid rock mountainside in my Gen IV ACR, and that one is going to probably turn into a track car after someone's big rebuilding project... So, I'm saving up some money to get myself into a Gen V, and I've got my sights set on an ACR. From what I've heard from "unofficial" sources, it is going to be a screamer if all the stars line up properly (and if they line up at all). Anyone have any idea when and if we might hear some "official" news about it? I've already got my wish-list of options figured out (ballistic nylon Sabelt seats, ******** package (hopefully they take out all the silly sound deadening material and the high-tech audio/nav stuff), basic no-frills car with none of the luxury crap inside). If the rumors about the long-awaited direct-injection engine are true, this car is going to be insane if it ever gets built. I'm ready to get in line for one...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likely way too soon, unless you are targeting late 2014 or 2015. With the Viper T/A edition coming out in the next couple months, you can bet SRT will want to market and sell those first, before unveiling something better. I'm seeing the T/A as the sort of fill-gap car for the ACR buyer, followed by the convertible shortly after that. ACR unveil probably at least a year or longer.

You might just consider a T/A edition, which has already beat the ACR time on Laguna Seca. You could always strip more weight out, on your own.

Tony

wirepaladin08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have zero interest in buying anything until I see what happens with the new ACR -- if there is a new ACR. If there isn't -- or I don't like what is in the works for some reason -- I'm fine with keeping my Gen IV ACR, which I love.

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd love a new ACR but would be very, very, very happy with a TA as well. I'm not nearly good enough on the track to enjoy all the benefits of the ACR (or at least, I wasn't with the one I had), and the TA will be more than enough.

Plus, my wife didn't like the aggressive looks of the ACR with the wing and canards, or the paint scheme (red/black/driver stripe). A nice TA in a solid color would work for me.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do like the Gen V, but I wouldn't give up my IV ACR for a non ACR and I am not blessed enough to have both. So unless another ACR comes along I just might have THE Viper for me.

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm definitely thinking about a TA, but when I buy cars, I buy them for keeps. If I put $120k+ into a car, there's just no way I'll be able to justify getting the ACR when it comes out (at around $180k from what I understand) - unless I sell the TA. But, we all know how that goes - the ACR will come out, and all the people like me who bought a TA as a stop-gap will probably try to unload them and we'll take a bath on the value.

If I hadn't of murdered my Gen IV ACR to death, I wouldn't even be considering the new Gen V ACR :) While the Gen IV ACR had its quirks, it was a blast and I loved it - and it was going to be a lifetime keeper.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do like the Gen V, but I wouldn't give up my IV ACR for a non ACR and I am not blessed enough to have both. So unless another ACR comes along I just might have THE Viper for me.

Forget the ACR, let's just make sure the 2015 or 2016 will still be in production !!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point, I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that Asteroid 2004 BL86 doesn't change course and slam into the earth and wipe us out on Jan 26, 2015. If that happens, I guess I won't be getting my ACR.

If that happens I will die happy, WOT in my Gen IV ACR down the interstate.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm definitely thinking about a TA, but when I buy cars, I buy them for keeps. If I put $120k+ into a car, there's just no way I'll be able to justify getting the ACR when it comes out (at around $180k from what I understand) - unless I sell the TA. But, we all know how that goes - the ACR will come out, and all the people like me who bought a TA as a stop-gap will probably try to unload them and we'll take a bath on the value.

If I hadn't of murdered my Gen IV ACR to death, I wouldn't even be considering the new Gen V ACR :) While the Gen IV ACR had its quirks, it was a blast and I loved it - and it was going to be a lifetime keeper.

Where did you hear this?

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard that number from a few people (inside and outside of the "inner circle"), and if you do a search on SRT Viper ACR, you'll find some articles out there that mention that price point. I think it's totally worth it if they actually deliver the car that they want to - but if it's just a $50k ACR option that includes aero and suspension stuff, I won't be able to justify it... Do some searching around, and you'll find some interesting stuff floating around in the wild.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO $180 is crazy. With what they have done with the TA, I'd look more towards $140 - allows for $20k in upgrades from the TA.

But really what is there besides more aero? I guess if the ACR goes full DCT, that could be quite a budget buster.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO $180 is crazy. With what they have done with the TA, I'd look more towards $140 - allows for $20k in upgrades from the TA.

But really what is there besides more aero? I guess if the ACR goes full DCT, that could be quite a budget buster.

Exactly. I'm thinking comparable to a optioned GTS. $130-140k. I really wish SRT would at least start teasing it like the Gen V was before it was revealed. I can't wait for it honestly.

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno.... If they do what is on the drawing board, it'll be worth it. Direct injection engine (one of my wish-list items for a long time), titanium exhaust, carbon/ceramic brakes, shed about 100 lbs, manually adjustable shocks/springs, and a few other goodies, and I'd be happy with that price. When I think about how much money I put into upgrades, if they all came stock and were really good, I could justify that kind of price. That said, I really want a "no frills" option where I can ditch all the stupid electronic touch-screen crap to cut around $10k off the price. I'd rather have a fishbowl full of terrified goldfish in that touch-screen area than a touch-screen that tells me where to go and what music to listen to .... I never listen to the stereo anyhow, and I don't care where I'm going, so ditch the nav/audio on the ACR and lower the price a bit. Same goes for the nice leather interior - ditch that for the more appropriate bare-basics for those of us who don't want it. Besides, passenger are going to soil the seats anyhow, so make them ballistic nylon - that's way easier to clean up than leather (or pleather).

LouN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too am very interested in Gen V ACR, in fact going to hold off on TA, in hopes of serious upgrade to ACR. From what I read we are
looking at late 2014, but probably 2015. That assumes current Gen V's, TA's, and roadsters push the sales numbers to move forward with
ACR. I know SRT is working with Pirelli to come up with a real answer to the Michelin Pilot sport cups, apparently they really took SRT by surprise with their performance. As far as pricing goes, I don't think anyone really has a clue yet, really depends on amount of upgrades
they intend to offer over the SRT and TA. If it does happen, I know I will be one of the first in line!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

180k would be just dumb.

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to say what's dumb at this point - if the car is an extremely limited production unit, and it has all the high performance parts and engineering that is being hoped for, $180k isn't totally insane. If it's just a tweaked standard SRT with suspension improvements, aerodynamics, brakes, and "delete" options to lighten the weight, then I'd say MSRP needs to come in under $140k. But, if they put some exotic stuff on it like the long-wished for direct injection engine, better breathing, better brakes, further improved valvetrain, titanium pieces, excellent "factory" exhaust, true racing seats, and "no frills" interior, I'd be all over it.

I'd personally like to see something that is just so over-the-top irresponsible that it is in a class all by itself.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
possible paddle shifter only car like the GTS-R. IF that is the case the tranny is very expensive.

Bruce

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It makes more sense to start the estimated pricing based on the SRT T/A model, which is ballparked at $118-120K MSRP. Then add:

$10K ceramic brakes (usually $15K, but minus the current Brembo/Stoptech setup)?
$4K for more advanced aero over the T/A?
$4K for headers/exhaust
$2K for Mopar PCM

Figure $20K over the T/A, so $140K range?

That is assuming they don't offer any engine changes, or forced induction, and keep the same 2-mode track electronic brakes.

I'd like to see a dry-sump oiling system, and at least 7,000 rpm. Please!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala