Took a road trip to Flagstaff

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With it being 111 degrees the last couple of days, we decided to take a road trip to Flagstaff, the long way. My friend's wife rented him a Lotus Elise since his b-day is Monday. What a fun drive! We went through Wickenburg, up through Prescott, Jerome, Sedona and then finally arrived in Flagstaff 6 hours later. We stopped for lunch and photos on the way. We left at 11 am because he had to pick up the Lotus from the rental place. $350 a day with unlimted mileage. The Lotus was a fun little car to drive. He's decided to sell his Harley and look for an Elise. His wife liked the car a lot more than the bike. He likes the fact that he can tour and have a soft top if it rains.

Here's some pics...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

He ended up getting stopped by The Man because his window tint was too dark. We were going 5 under the speed limit in the right lane minding our own business and this guy comes flying after us. We got passed by a Prius for God's sake! The officer gave him crap about his license plate frame, too. He ended up writing my buddy a warning.

picture.php

Mike

OP
OP

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the same as "borrowing" someone's car. Technically, YOU are responsible for everything once you are in control of the vehicle. Insurance, registration, etc...

I personally think it's a crock. Once he told him it was a rental, he should have just let him go with a verbal warning. Like the rental place is really going to care if their driver's get warnings/tickets.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with the heat down there you guys should be able to run whatever tint you're comfortable with

nice pics
looks like a neat drive
I've been down that route at this time of year
flagstaff is still hot, but better than phoenix ;)

OP
OP

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The high in Flag was only 85. It's 6900 feet up so it's much better than Phoenix.

I understand why they don't want blacked out windows when the person on the other side of the glass is holding a gun to blast the cop when he walks up. It's an officer safety thing. I just think in this particular case, the officer was profiling. He saw two sports cars cruising down the road and wanted a reason to pull one of us over. People were blowing by us at 100 mph + and my buddy gets pulled over for tint. Who knows, maybe there's a ring of people driving exotic sports cars smuggling large quantities of illegal drugs into Phoenix. They caravan together to make it look more innocent. The trunk or "boot" on the Lotus is large enough to smuggle several joints with the soft top in there. And my Viper, with the soft top loaded, is big enough to smuggle several ziplock bags of the drug of your choice. I shouldn't be so ******* the guy, he looked like he only had six weeks on the department. He's working Sunday afternoon in the middle of nowhere on I17. Don't get any better than that!

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the same as "borrowing" someone's car. Technically, YOU are responsible for everything once you are in control of the vehicle. Insurance, registration, etc...

I personally think it's a crock. Once he told him it was a rental, he should have just let him go with a verbal warning. Like the rental place is really going to care if their driver's get warnings/tickets.

Due to a Department of Justice investigation of Arizona DPS several years ago, they are now required by policy to write something for every traffic stop they make. That's why your buddy didn't get a verbal warning. Believe me, its much easier to give just a verbal warning.

Let me know if you ever get a wild hair to get out of town again, sounds like a great trip. Unfortunately, until summer ends for me at the end of September, I don't get any weekends off.

Nice looking RT by the way!

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Pics! It's pretty rare that we ever hit 100 degrees on the coast in south Florida. Usually low 90's everyday in the summer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson