Took radiator out, won't go back in, !**#@

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:mad: Boy, do I feel stupid. Took stock rad out (leaking) and trying to put new used rad in...doesn't fit. I got the radiator in, but when i tried the stock fan module, it's hitting the stabilizer bar...no way:( Measured the two rads...seem identical.

So I get the RM out and it says to install the rad with the fan installed....no way, the fan hits the stabilizer bar. I got the hood off and the facia off and the p/s cooler off and the airbox off and I just ran out of long necks:dunno:
97 GTS ( installing a used rad from a 2000 GTS)

Did a search..no luck. Called Dan...left a message. HELP PLEASE

TIA

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive never done this but my guess would be to slide the fan module down past the stabilizer bar. Thus you can slide it around a lil and slip in the radiator. Best bet is to call Chuck in the morn....:drive:

Best of luck.

:usa:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the fan module in and out of my '01 5 or 6 times in the same day a couple months ago. It'd tend to hang up on one of the lower bolts when I went to put it back in - so I had to make sure I was clearing them, but otherwise no big deal.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all of the problems I had with my Ron Davis leaking new out of the box, I became somewhat of an expert at getting the radiator in and out in my '01 GTS. It is a squeeze, but I did it many times with the hood on, fascia on etc. Only the airbox removed & P/S cooler set aside. The fan module should be taken off first and put on last. It is a squeeze getting the rad between the frame rails where the brake lines are and the oil cooler lines are. You just have to work at it. I did find it useful once to undo the oil cooler lines at the engine and allow them to drop some, but that creates a new PITA.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure the new and old radiator use the same fan/shroud? The studs are in different locations for new vs. old style fan. Dealers will sell you the newer rad because it's the newer part - the "old style" stud pattern radiator is not available.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang