Top Speed Tips

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few of are going to a US airbase next weekend, it has a 2 mile runway(extended to take the space shuttle in case of an emergency) last year 2 Vipers hit 175mph over the line at 1.2 miles before having to brake. There was a skyline that touched 198mph over the same distance ! There are timing beams at the 1/4 as well

Apart from folding the mirrors in, taping up the cracks,opening the air vents any other top tips to increase speed ?

There is also a handling course also which took 35 seconds last year to complete
All the competing cars have to be road legal, with road legal tyres

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Neil, that sounds awesome! There's a long thread on V iperalley.com (one word) that is soley dedicated to this topic. A lot of good info over there! If you would like a link, I can provide via PM.

Good luck! :)

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now that sounds like fun. to bad i don't live in england i would join u. btw, we need someting like that here in arizona, clint. the old williams gateway airport out in chandler would be ideal the runway is 2 miles long and the elevation is at like 1100 feet above sea level. maybe marv the pres. of the arizona viper club could book us an event to see who could could go the fastest in 1 mile. if so i will put a nitrous kit on my snake and bust 180 mph in the flying 1 mile run. :eek:

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now that sounds like fun. to bad i don't live in england i would join u. btw, we need someting like that here in arizona, clint. the old williams gateway airport out in chandler would be ideal the runway is 2 miles long and the elevation is at like 1100 feet above sea level. maybe marv the pres. of the arizona viper club could book us an event to see who could could go the fastest in 1 mile. if so i will put a nitrous kit on my snake and bust 180 mph in the flying 1 mile run. :eek:

That would be SWEET! And if anyone could put it together it would be Marv!

Clint

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd leave the airvents closed. Running air through the car and out the back vents wouldn't do any good itself would it? Better to let it go over the car. Though I remember hearing about Mustangs doing something with the back fastback window to gain MPH. If it was me I'd block off as much of the grill as possible, NASCAR stockers don't have much of a grill opening (though they have large capacity radiators.. Either strap down the front suspension (be sure and do it right), clamp the front springs(?) to lower the front or extend the lower spoiler in the front to as close to the ground as possible...Take off the wipers. Tape around the headlights. Cars with rear hood mounts used to shim up the hood in the back to let air out at speed...maybe you could take off that rear hood seal running across the back of the hood.

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apart from folding the mirrors in, taping up the cracks,opening the air vents any other top tips to increase speed ?

No, but have a will written out beforehand.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do a search on top speed and side windows popping out of the socket.

My passenger glass popped out right around 175mph thought it was ghandi, as in left the car. Any flinch at that speed and your in trouble and I was flinching as I slowed down to see what happened. It popped back in around 150mph.

I strongly suggest cracking both windows an inch, will cost in the .cd department a touch, but better than shopping for new side glass, not to mention what it could do to the sides of the car.

and yeah I had the climate control kicking full pop and the rear vents at the taillights were not obstructed and functional, scary stuff....

Have a blast, let us know what you got her up to!!