Torque loss with no cats and 1.75 headers?

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it true that you may lose torque with the installation of headers with 1.75" primaries? Also, do you lose addional torque with cat removal?

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What other mods? Big HP requires big breathing.
If I was to run a large primary, I would put a muffler on the car to create back pressure, unless your going to dump it on the side of the car (in which case, it doesn't matter).

MM

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just showing my ignorance, but I thought the Belanger's were 1.75 inch. Is the primary different? I've read that 1 5/8 are good for mild mod cars. Thanks for the education....Kurt

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what size the Belangers are. My guess would be either 1 5/8 or 1 3/4, but definitely not 1 7/8 (probably 1 5/8). 1 7/8 headers would definitely be overkill on a stock motor. If you're planning on supercharging or diving into the motor, the larger pipes will be taken full advantage of and produce higher numbers.

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I believe it's true you'll lose some low end torque with the larger pipes ON A STOCK ENGINE. The 1.75's are meant to be used on a SERIOUSLY modded car. The more power your motor is generating the more power you'll gain from the larger pipes. That is why on a stock engine smaller pipes like Belanger seem to out perform larger pipes such as TNT, CDI, HMS, etc. But as you increase the power output on the motor the larger pipes should be good for 10 to 20 additional hp over the smaller pipes.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
smokin . . . .keep in mind that you will be putting on a roe sc which must have lots of breathing. So while it may not give you a gain right now, it will pay off in late aug or sept when they get here. Otherwise smaller headers will decrease your hp (other words . . .I'll be faster than you!