Torque Spec Request, Power Steering Pump Discharge

Radioactive_mufin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm installing a new fitting on the discharge of the power steering pump. When removing, the adapter/pump discharge bolt also came along with it so I need to install both the discharge nozzle/adapter/bolt as well as the fitting for the line. Wondering if there's torque specs for these.

Also bonus question. there's a small hole on the inside, on only one side of the adapter/pump discharge bolt. I'm wondering if this is a dead head prevention/mini recirc hole or what this is, and whether it needs to be oriented in a specific way. (part in question - in attached pic).

This is for an '05.

Attachments

• 20230511_174928.jpg
    20230511_174928.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 10

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its been a while, but if I recall we always used 35lb on the relief body, and 25lb on the tube fittings. They are all O-Ring and Swivel, so its not like they are dependent on torque or can unscrew themselves under normal circumstances.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just double checked the service manual out of curiosity, but no mention of the relief valve assembly. It does have numbers for the other tube nuts in the system though. The cooler lines it says 11 ft-lbs and all other tube nuts it has 21. I agree with Dan though, they are o-ring fittings, so shouldn't take much. As for the holes, I believe those are just the outlet holes for the pressure relief internal bypass. Don't think there is any particular way to clock them, so should just be a swap it over kind of install.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It needs to be tight enough that a second wrench on it is not needed when R&R'ing the actual pressure hose to the pump. That's a pretty large thread diameter in steel, so I'd expect something around 40-45 lb-ft.

When I rebuilt my Gen 2 pump several months ago, I was prepared to clean the regulator and replace the o-rings. I had the pump in a vise and gave it a pretty firm tug, but it wasn't wanting to budge. I left it alone and just worked on the actual pump guts and shaft seals. Works like a champ!

Attachments

• Pump insertion marks.jpg
    Pump insertion marks.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: