Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well to start my 04 auto c5 put down 378 rwhp and 370 rwt with the folloing
-ls6 heads
-tr 224/224 cam
-borla exhaust
-vararam air intake
-no cats

She was a pretty fast auto c5 putting down a best 0-60 mph time on 4.28 on street tires..

But this stock 99 red rt 10 with 27 k miles is just somthing else..0-60 is in favor of my new viper hands down..On the top end from a 70 mph punch it would be close with the Viper probally pulling 2-3 cars by 130 mph IMHO...

interior wise Im in love with the raw feeling of the viper..feels like im driving a car from the 60's..I always thought Viper guys were [******]'n and just making up a lame excuse with the RAW feeling thing...But after only a few hours I see what you guys ment...

Visually even with my c5's painted black stripes on a white car with custom paint through out the rest of the car as well I think i got more stares tonight driving the stock viper than I have the hole time with my Vette in the past two years...

felt like I was a movie star or somthing..

So far Im in love with this Viper and think were gonna be together for a while..

My only gripe is that the brakes are defiently gonna take some getting used to...naturally upon getting the keys and realizing I had just purchased my first Exotic I went and flogged her to 125 mph on the freeway..

Normally at this speed my c5's stock brakes scrubbed off speed in no time. But the viper seemed like she wasnt gonna slow down for a second.

All and all Im so happy that it's 3 am in the morning and i still havent been able to sleep yet. Ive gotten up 3 times in the past 4 hours just to see if the vipers really in the garage or if it's just a dream...

Well it's surely a dream come true.

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife says she feels like a Movie Star when she rides around in the Viper...

Congrats on the new ride....

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome. Get set for the bivy of cell phone Popparazzies you will encounter as well. Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy..but get some sleep. Even Movie Stars need their beauty rest!!!

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome!

Maybe the brake pads have been changed? Perhaps EBC blues/reds/yellows or some such, someone here will hopefully chime in, or do a search on the subject on this site.
Iv'e got EBC greens on mine and have no complaints at all.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brakes do the job, but your coming from Vette ABS to non ABS brakes so they will feel different. I did the same thing. You really want to avoid getting into a situation where you lock them up, flat spot the tires and you'll be getting new ones. But you'll get used to them.

Get used to the stares and pictures too... :2tu:
Good Luck with it.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats and enjoy.
Over 30K miles here and still smiling.
The feeling never fades.
:needpics:

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another Vette owner converted. Congrats. They are both fine examples of sports cars but driving the Viper is something else. Just wait till you fill it up a couple times and it takes you 10 mins to leave cuz everyone wants to see it, take pictures of it etc. The best is when the hot young chicks pull up beside you and ask if they can take your picture...LOL..

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, don't get used to it and suffer with the brakes. The non-ABS Brembo rear calipers came from the Renault parts bin and were found on the 1988-90 Renault Alliance, the 1990-92 FWD Dodge Monaco, and are now also used on the rear of the 2,000lb Lotus Elise.

1862black-elise-rear-3qtr-med_1_-med.jpg

The weird feeling you have (other than the flat spot) is that since the rears hardly do any work, you are braking with mostly (only?) the fronts. Search this site and you'll find braking improves from 0.8 G's to over 1.0 G's with better rears - no matter how you do so.

Dave has a beautiful, reasonably priced bracket kit that lets you put 4-piston calipers on all four corners. Fair money, more modifications, new proportioning valve, drooling good looks and high function.

For a drop-in replacement of the OEM part, PM me about an upsized rear caliper that is less cash, reuses all your current pads, hoses, rotors, and unfortunately looks the same...

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, I've smoked my front tires a few times... Would be cool to have an adjustable preportioning valve on the car.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! I don't blame you for your former cynicism. The C5 is a great car and I just got one for summer DD. When putting the top on or taking off it is best to use 2 people to avoid scratching the paint. I am on 2 years with the Viper now and still get thrilled when I hit the gas. The styling is proving timeless. Enjoy and Welcome :2tu:

Z06reformed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you guessed it,I was a Corvette ****** too.I had a Z06 and it was awesome-until I got the Viper.The Viper is as you say ,just raw.Thats how I explain it to people.I think the Corvette is a better overall car in every aspect(Z06).BUT, the Viper is just soo damn fun to drive.Nobody can argue th elooks ,popularity,performance, muscle,fun,sex appeal,and what ever else.I never once got anybody hanging out of their car to tell me how cool the vette was going down the road.Never stopped me at the gas station to tell me how cool it was(now I fill up at every half tank for a little more ego boost-LOL).Now I get all that.Its just more fun.At first I thought it was enough to be stock.Now I am looking at some HP upgrades and read the boards everyday to learn more.Its almost a labor of love since they do have some things to be "tinkered"with but I dont know what I would upgrade to now?
Funny story,I got my two rear Michelins (finally) the other day.We put them on at the tire store in th eevening and I went back th enext day to pick upthe old tires for spares.While I was rolling them out the door they were working on tires on a C5 convertible.The owner was there and my buddy says to him "you got little tires!" The guy looked at him with his mouth open then he saw me with the old ones and realized what he was talking about.Then he was all questions and wanted to see the car,but I was in my truck.He wont be far behind us.I believe he wanted one in his future too.

V

venms96

AskYourWife,

You were the guy talking about getting great deals $$ on cars........did you get that Viper for 35k or what ?? :)

Congrats. Nice move UP !

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF !

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least two guys on this thread are new owners, congratulations,love the tire story. If you both would add your vins to your profile by going to "my home" on the top bar I would be happy to upgrade you from business class (enthusiast) to First Class (VIPER OWNER) PM me when you add the vin or if you have trouble adding it.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, don't get used to it and suffer with the brakes. The non-ABS Brembo rear calipers came from the Renault parts bin and were found on the 1988-90 Renault Alliance, the 1990-92 FWD Dodge Monaco, and are now also used on the rear of the 2,000lb Lotus Elise.

1862black-elise-rear-3qtr-med_1_-med.jpg

The weird feeling you have (other than the flat spot) is that since the rears hardly do any work, you are braking with mostly (only?) the fronts. Search this site and you'll find braking improves from 0.8 G's to over 1.0 G's with better rears - no matter how you do so.

Dave has a beautiful, reasonably priced bracket kit that lets you put 4-piston calipers on all four corners. Fair money, more modifications, new proportioning valve, drooling good looks and high function.

For a drop-in replacement of the OEM part, PM me about an upsized rear caliper that is less cash, reuses all your current pads, hoses, rotors, and unfortunately looks the same...

I am getting this upgrade. Everyone I've spoken to says it makes a hugh difference. For a little money your brakes will work great.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!

Plenty of former and current Vette owners here......

Do your research, join the VCA, get to a Viperdays event, local club event, or just a gathering of Viper guys at the local ******* and investigate and research your different options to address your braking needs. There's a bunch of braking options from $ to $$$$$

Good luck!