Trailers for the Viper

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 RT/10 and want to start towing it to different events (not racing - just want to save some miles) and I was wondering what type of trailers most folks have. I'm mainly concerned about the front end not getting chewed up. Thanks folks.
cool.gif

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I getting a Sloan's with front fairing for protecting that part. Will cover the car when parked -- not so obvious that way. A covered trailer would require a tow vehicle bigger than my Jeep GC.

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key is the width of the wheel wells. I have a trailer to tow my car (a 95 with side pipes) and you have to really watch the side clearance for the wheels. Other than that, the only other thing to watch for are the cables that let the door hang down: I put cloth over them just to be safe when I load the car (watch the mirrors).

The front faschia is obvisouly a concern. I use 2x12"s to get the car in. I place one under the trailer (mine doesn't have the extra flip ramp) horizontally and then place the second one as the vertical ramp. Plenty of clearance.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always been an "enclosed" guy, but that's partly due to wanting extra storage space inside the trailer to be able to lock up spare wheels and tires, jacks and tools for weekend track ventures. The car is obviously much more protected during travel, and arriving "clean" and ready to go can also be a big benefit.

If you're interested, I'm getting a new one and have my fancy, red 20' Pace for sale in the Viper classifieds. It's already set up and ready to go for a Viper. I'm asking around $2,000 more than a new, open "roll back" will run you. It really all depends on your circumstances and preference.

As far as your tow vehicle is concerned, the weight factor is an important consideration. That's the reason I went with a 20' rather than the more typical 24', with 4 wheel electric brakes. The 20' was WAY less weight than the 24, and my loaded towing weight with the Viper usually comes in about 6,800 pounds. I've pulled all over the country with my little 97 V8 Dakota, which was rated for that much back then. However, just to be safe, I still use an equalizer, weight distributing hitch, and an optional sway controller. I strongly recommend that for towing most anything if you're going to be doing a lot of it. Hope this helps.

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I get information on the Sloan quick load trailer?

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony:

Can you open the doors with those wheel wells in the way or do you have to climb out of the window?

Phil

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was looking into getting a trailer, I was told by many guys to stay away from the open trailer, that it will beat up the car no matter what you do to prevent it.
So then I was looking at enclosed trailers and it was getting way to much out of my price range when considering that I was going to have to buy a new truck to do it right and then where was I going to store the trailer?
If you have the space and money, I'd go enclosed.
If not, and you don't want to go open, what I did might serve the purpose and get you off for about $500.00
I hooked up a hitch to my Viper. So far, I am about the only one at events that run down the track at 140mph or whatever, with a hitch on the back. I pull my tools, wheels, and any small bags I might need. I am independent. Don't need chase cars, don't have to worry about if the wife & kids want to come or not, which they usually don't. And I get more time driving the car I spent lots of money on.

Good luck,
Andrew

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Texas Roll Back Trailers
No worrys loading the car
Fenders are removable

Available at JOHNS TRAILERS
(888) 466-2525

Latest posts

Members online