Transmission brake-in???

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DC just replaced my trans under warrantee. The original was making strange noises, and now that I have a new one to compare it too, was definitely not working as smoothly as it should. Car feels much better now.

One question... does a new trans require any sort of break-in procedure?

Thanks.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should take it easy for the first 100 miles just to be safe....but typically on a manual trans it's pretty much good to go.

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could you describe the noise the transmission was making and did it stop if you pushed in on the cluch? I am chasing a noise in my 03 clutch or transmission. My rattle stops when I push in on the clutch and this is whether I am driving or sitting with the transmission out of gear. Replacing the throw out bearing made no difference.

Thanks,

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could you describe the noise the transmission was making and did it stop if you pushed in on the cluch? I am chasing a noise in my 03 clutch or transmission. My rattle stops when I push in on the clutch and this is whether I am driving or sitting with the transmission out of gear. Replacing the throw out bearing made no difference.

Thanks,

The noise was a fairly loud, metalic scraping noise. Kind of hard to describe in words. Only happened at lower speeds, initially between 20 and 40 mph, but as time when by, the speed range where the noise occured was growing wider... and the noise louder. If you put your hand on the shifter while the noise was happening, you could feel a slight vibration. The noise only occured when the car was moving. Pushing in the clutch did not make the noise go away, although putting it in nuetral and letting it coast usually did... but not always. It was pretty perplexing.

I bought the car with 2200 miles on it and the noise was there when I took delivery, although not nearly as bad as when I finally took it in for repair. Whatever the problem was, it was getting progressively worse. I took the Viper tech for a ride so he could hear the noise for himself. He said he had no idea what it might be but agreed that it was definitely coming from the trans. He was not able to identify the problem, so they just replaced the whole trans under warrantee, no questions asked. They also replaced the pressure plate, throw-out bearing and pilot bearing just to be safe. I was very pleased with the service and they knocked it out in one day (although it took 3 weeks for the parts to come in).

Since the trans was going to be out anyway, I had him install the Hurst shifter. Runs great now, no noise and the shifter is a vast improvement over stock. No charge for anything except the extra labor to install the Hurst shifter. They charged me $150 for that which seemed reasonable.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,

Tom, there was a thread about the noise you are hearing a while back....this seems to be common on a lot of gen IIIs. Mine has always done it. The noise he is describing seems a lot more pronounced and doesn't go away when the clutch is depressed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang