Updated Fluids poll

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got some great info on my latest brake poll what is the latest & greatest in the fluids world

Trans?

rear diff?

Oil?

Brake fluid?

Anti Freeze?

My car is bone stock street & occasional strip use only, 39k miles 97 GTS

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet at 75 dollars a quart, Castrol SRF was at the top of the list for brake/clutch fluid......

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to like Motul 600 a lot for track and other heavy-duty driving - but unless you're really dedicated to changing it often (as we do on the track), it can cause some problems with corrosion since it absorbs a lot of water. I let it go for a full year once and it came out looking like crap...

For street use, the one I liked a lot (before they discontinued it) was Valvoline SynPower DOT4. It was dirt cheap, and the dry/wet boiling points were more than anyone would generally need on the street (and some track use). I'm looking for a good replacement now, and the ATE fluids look nice. You can get the same fluid in Blue and Amber colors, which makes it really easy to properly bleed the system - once it changes color, you know you're done.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake Fluid

Here is comparison of the latest specs:

Brand ------------ Dry/Wet - Price
Valvoline -------- 480°F/311°F $5
CastrolGT-LMA - 509°F/311°F $5
ATE SuperBlue - 536°F/388°F $15
Motul RBF 600 - 593°F/420°F $15
Motul RBF 660 - 617°F/399°F $30
Castrol SRF ---- 590°F/518°F $80

I use GTLMA and flush twice a year with very agressive backroad riding and a couple track days & autocrossing.
I do threshold brake frequently and havnt boiled my fluid yet, so for now with my current stockish setup im fine with the cheap stuff.
So if all you do is cruise around and dragrace then the cheap stuff should be fine for you as well:2tu:

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For street use, the one I liked a lot (before they discontinued it) was Valvoline SynPower DOT4. It was dirt cheap, and the dry/wet boiling points were more than anyone would generally need on the street (and some track use).

They discontinued the Valvoline? This must have been recent, as I just put it in my car in May.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FAQ

Has SynPower Brake Fluid been discontinued?

Yes. SynPower Brake Fluid has been replaced by Valvoline Full Synthetic DOT 3 & DOT 4 Brake Fluid.
Valvoline.com > FAQs

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake Fluid

Here is comparison of the latest specs:

Brand ------------ Dry/Wet - Price
Valvoline -------- 480°F/311°F $5
CastrolGT-LMA - 509°F/311°F $5
ATE SuperBlue - 536°F/388°F $15
Motul RBF 600 - 593°F/420°F $15
Motul RBF 660 - 617°F/399°F $30
Castrol SRF ---- 590°F/518°F $80

I use GTLMA and flush twice a year with very agressive backroad riding and a couple track days & autocrossing.
I do threshold brake frequently and havnt boiled my fluid yet, so for now with my current stockish setup im fine with the cheap stuff.
So if all you do is cruise around and dragrace then the cheap stuff should be fine for you as well:2tu:

I changed to the Castrol GT-LMA when I had the clutch issue and the belangers still cooked it (no difference than the stock fluid)....with the Castrol SRF the issue went away...yes its 75 dollars but its spec'd to absorb less water. I understand Motul 600 needs to be changed more often so I spent alittle more,but results have proven satisfactoy....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960