Upgraded cooling fan- replaced under warranty?

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read from some old posts that the dealer replaced some people's cooling fan with the updated version under warranty. I have a 96 GTS and the extended warranty. I have the older cooling fan with the baffles and the fan set off to the side. What is Dodge's position on replacing this? How many of you out there have had the cooling fan updated under warranty? I plan on upgrading it no matter what, but I would prefer to have it replaced for free of course.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I did. The central pin from the fan motor to the fan bust, it's all one unit to replace. My tech was great when I asked, and ordered the better unit for me, he even sent it to my house so I could fit it...it fitted straight in. It was done under a warranty replacement.

(ps. and as a token of my thanks I sent him some beer)!

pps. I come to Detroit next week to visit the place of worship, 29 & 30 of May, are you about for me to look you up?

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my 96GTS to Stevens Creek Dodge - San Jose - to get door seals replaced as they were coming apart. Spoke to viper tech and he informed me that I was entitled to get the 97 fan installed under warranty - I ok'd it - they did it. No charge!
That kind of service from Dodge makes we wanna order another one of their products - 2003 RT/10- Yes Sir!!
Mine was covered under the extended warranty.
He is my complete list of work done up through this past week

WARRANTY WORK - done under either the regular warranty or the extended.
Side sills replaced - rivet corrosion issue (original)
Right rear rim replaced (original)
Timing Gasket seal replaced - did front and rear & main bearing seals at same time(extended)
Radiator fan replaced w/1997 model(extended)
Window felts replaced on rail that raises and lowers the glass (extended)
Alarm system replaced(extended)
Door uprights, (this is the black part of the door that has the button on it), window glass replaced - Both sides done(original)
Gas Cap replaced(original)

Now figure the cost of all this work and ask yourself did I do the right thing by purchasing the extended warranty

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warranty is different under Chrysler UK, my wheels and gas cap are all scabby. I keep them polished, but with all the wet we have in the UK the lacquer has lifted and corrosion is bad, breaks my heart to see them looking like it. Also, sill bubbling: replacement refused. It all went to Chrysler UK HQ, who said NO! Seems my anti-corrosion part of the warranty is a joke over here!

(I'm binning the "C" badging and donning a Dodge one on my beloved).

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I was about to buy the updated fan but now I am going to go over to my dealer and ask if they will do it for me. If you guys have any words of wisdom on how to approach the service manager and what to say, I would appreciate it.

painexpert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Norman,speak to the Viper tech directly.He will know about the fan and will order it for you.If you go through the service manager/service writers they may not know what you are talking about and question this.Have a good relationship with your tech.It will make things easier.My Viper tech noticed the older fan in my car and ordered the newer style the same day.I never even spoke with the service dept.It was all handled through my tech.When it arrived he called me, quickly exchanged it and I was out of there.He handled all of the warranty paperwork,etc.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, guys, I have a '94 that came with the offset fan and baffles. When I had to replace the radiator, I was only able to get the "newer" radiator. I found out the radiator that fits with the new fan has the studs in a different place. I ended up having to also get the new fan. The fan shrouds are not supported in places other than where it was originally designed to accept the studs, so based on my experience, I would say the fan and radiator have to be replaced as a set.

painexpert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Norman,I believe what JonB is trying to say is that the fan changed/upgraded 3 months into the 98 model year.Please correct me if I am wrong JonB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32