Valuation of GT3 RS vs ACR

dsevo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm an avid Porsche fan, and I do somewhat believe in the German engineering/quality hoopla, but I just can't wrap my head around the premiums people are paying for the new GT3 RS. Don't get me wrong, it's an impressive car and I'd love to own one, but it makes me scratch my head when I compare it to the new ACR. So far, it seems as thought anyone can buy an ACR at MSRP if they want one. Just wanted to get some other people's thoughts on why the ACR doesn't fare as well when people have to vote with their wallets. For the sake of full disclosure, I haven't owned a Viper. Thought it might be more obvious to people who have owned Vipers.

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so I would love to say that Dodge doesn't price gouge for their performance cars but the 2015 hellcat would make me a liar. Anyways, when you have the
press against you and when you have people trying to sabotage the car itself out of revenge it doesn't help things. The new ACR is kick *** it certainly has
proven itself by breaking track records. The car world who is against it, doesn't want to admit it's great qualities because it makes them look like idiots. Our strict
laws imposed by tree huggers has helped kill the joy out of most everything with wheels. They have deemed anything that might have kick *** power a threat.
Long live horsepower and American Muscle:headbang::drive: BTW I love my viper and every time I pass a prius I try to
aggrivate the hell out of them and just generally pi** them off

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
IJust wanted to get some other people's thoughts on why the ACR doesn't fare as well when people have to vote with their wallets.
People aren't voting with their wallet, their trying to keep up with the "Jones's" that are in their social circle. The ones that buy ACR's know there's more to life and are willing to "Live It"!

OP
OP
D

dsevo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're asking why their isn't price gouging on the ACR?

You can put it that way, but I assure you that if the ACR sellers thought they could make an easy $100k they'd do the same. It's not as if they're making a conscious decision not to "gouge," which I don't really believe is a thing anyway. I'm just trying to understand the difference. Based on numbers, the ACR seems to do everything the GT3 RS does, as well or better.

People aren't voting with their wallet, their trying to keep up with the "Jones's" that are in their social circle. The ones that buy ACR's know there's more to life and are willing to "Live It"!

This is probably the most accurate and simplest answer. But I still find it mind boggling.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
A lot of it has to do with prestige and more than just performance. While the new Viper is leaps and bounds above what it was for interior "niceness", it still usually gets grief over its European counterparts. Also, despite having some electronics now, it mostly relies on good old fashioned mechanical design to get the performance it has as opposed to using computers to make it fast. A lot of people buying performance cars want to be able to access as much of the performance as they possibly can, and a modern computer laden vehicle will have a much more accessible performance capability than what is essentially a race car with a license plate (ACR). It has more wing and more power than most GT race cars to put things into perspective. The Viper has such a reputation for being hard to handle that I think it scares most people off. The Porsches weren't much better back in the early turbo days, but for whatever reason that stigma doesn't seem to have stuck with them as much as the Viper stigma is still around.

I think ultimately it's just a brand war though. Do $20 sunglasses protect your eyes as well as $200 Raybans? Does a $5 watch tell time as well as a $50,000 diamond encrusted one? The Vette is probably still king of the performance to price ratio, but I think the Viper is the king of highest performance you can get for the money. When you can beat the million dollar hypercars of the world with just a big ass wing and sticky tires I think it ruffles some feathers. It doesn't win you the admiration of the well heeled buyers, it wins you the fame and praises of the blue collar guys who, unfortunately, aren't often as able to purchase cars that expensive readily.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All I can say is I have taken in 2 GT3s in trade and another gentleman decided regardless of the fact that he had a GT3, he needed an ACR Extreme. Working with a guy right now, that can't quite get out of his mind that he can no only get an ACR for a bunch less than a GT3 , it will crush it on the track. No worry folks, the word is getting out, and there are folks who appreciate the reality of what the Dodge/SRT Engineers achieved.

porsche332

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real problem is that the Viper just is not an every day car.GT3 or GT3 RS can be driven daily and is not all that inconvenient.Then there is the 60 yr heritage of Porsche winning races around the world.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Granted I haven't been in modern Porsches, but you can use a Viper every day without that much effort. I daily drive mine, granted it's not an ACR. Admittedly it's only really good for carrying me and one other person around as the truck is laughably small, but it can do general errands just fine. It's really not that uncomfortable and it's super easy to drive. It's certainly comfy inside for most people, but I have a slimmer frame and find it fits really well aside from me being just a tad tall.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be like Trump, just say what everyone is thinking, only rich *** people buy a Porsche, a Viper ACR will spank a GT3.

Ermenasce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer is that the new gt3 Rs will be in limited supply and those who bought the Porsche 918 can get a GT3 RS
at MSRP.
Therefore demand exceeds supply
I have a 2014 Viper which I like very much, and a 2015 GT3, which I bought with 80 miles, so brand new but second hand.
At that time there was no new GT 3 availables new. They had stopped production.
So I paid a premium over MSRP to get the car.
I also have a 2011 GT3 RS, which is selling 20 % higher than what I paid new.
Again demand exceeds supply.
I am ordering a brand new ACR, extreme aero.
I believe than when production of the Viper stops, prices will go up,
particularly the ACR
That being said, I buy the cars to enjoy them, and if they increase in value it is fine,
if not so be it.

Ermenasce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, all of the people I know who purchased a GT3 RS or a Gt3, had one think in mind.
The smile they have after one day at the track

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ermenasce, you will be able to enjoy their smiles in your rear view mirror, from your ACR, extreme aero !!

Ermenasce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking forward for that moment
In fact it is highly likely that my first track event with the ACR will be at a Porsche Club of America event

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motor Trend has been testing the ACR and GT3RS at Laguna but wrecked the GT3RS...not sure if they got any full laps in with the car or why it was wrecked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper