Value of Salvage / Rebuilt GTS?

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I have never owned a salvage car but am considering a 99 GTS with mileage approaching 40k that has a salvage / rebuilt title.

I've read that you either cant get insured or ins. is higher and that a lot of places won't loan on the vehicle, but My insurance company and lender are fine with it.

I have no idea what the values of salvage cars are. If anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate it!

CajunMojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have it put up on a rack and check it out well. I would think you could offer low-mid twenties, then again, I wouldn't take that for mine (97 GTS salvage w/ 36k miles). It really depends on the condition, the repairs and the seller. I wouldn't advise paying over 30k. What are they asking for the car?

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is in rough condition. The paint has some scratches and chips. The drivers door and window has a larger gap than normal when closed. I smell some exhaust inside the car when driving but don't hear an exhaust leak so it must be small.
Long story short it's a rough condition GTS. It does drive well and doesn't seem to have mechanical problems. I was thinking of picking it up as a fun can and for track use. That way if I put it into a wall I won't lose as much as I would with an expensive Viper since this is already salvage.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
20-25% less $$$ vs a non-salvage car seems to be the norm depending on the quality of the repair. Gen 1/2 were totaled more easily since the new dealer replacement cost for the hood alone was $15k. Exhaust smell could indicate that the cats were removed.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks the exhaust smell is inside the car, like I have to roll the windows down or I cant breathe after a while. Im guessing there's a leak at the engine on headers or somewhere like that and air is being pushed in through the AC system

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks the exhaust smell is inside the car, like I have to roll the windows down or I cant breathe after a while. Im guessing there's a leak at the engine on headers or somewhere like that and air is being pushed in through the AC system

There is a flap in each rear quarter panel in the back. They are they to prevent the windows from blowing out in the event of air bag deployment. They also help the doors close easier. I suspect one of both of the flaps may be stuck open or damaged. Look there first.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What do they want. I am always scarred of someone that cut corners on a salvage. If they are fixed proper it is the only way to go.

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at 2 Salvage cars that were real POS's.... I also looked at 2 salvage cars that you would never know they were salvage cars.

arizonajack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You either missed the question or avoided it for some reason.

What's the asking price of the car?

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahaha I avoided it the first time but hadn't logged onto the forum to see the 2-5th time it was asked.

Last edited:

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahaha I avoided it the first time but hadn't logged onto the forum to see the 2-5th time it was asked.

Got the car for 25k shipped, it runs great but the paint isnt in the greatest shape.

25K for a GTS salvage seems fair, but Im no expert..Can the paint be buffed into shape?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32