VCA Member Question - Viper or Ford GT

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in asking this question of VCA members and actual viper owners - if given the choice would you trade your Viper (any viper model) for a Ford GT? Also your perspective on giving up open air motoring if you own/drive an SRT 10 convertible or RT 10. My perspective is I love the way the Viper looks, drives and feels - I would not trade for a Ford GT even at Ford's quoted MSRP. Appreciate the insight from those that own the car today - those that own both all the better!

OP
OP
T

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn, I always do that i.e. not check for the same post before posting - anyway thanks Sween -it was an interesting thread - surprised so many owners would swap for the Ford GT kit car - why not simply get a Noble!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why not simply get a Noble!

For me, it's because at least the Ford GT is American. Still wouldn't trade my Viper for it though, unless it's an even trade. Then I'd sell it, buy another Viper and have enough left over for mods. :2tu:

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn, I always do that i.e. not check for the same post before posting - anyway thanks Sween -it was an interesting thread - surprised so many owners would swap for the Ford GT kit car - why not simply get a Noble!

The GT is anything but a kit car. It's certainly in a different league than a Noble or TVR etc. The only car I've driven that feels more solidly put together with a better attention to detail is an Aston DB9, and even that isn't that far beyond the GT. I'd put the paint against that of any Ferrari. The interior is simple, but a much more aesthetically pleasing and special place to be than that of a Viper or Corvette. And it's engineered way beyond what a kit car is. You'll be hard pressed to find a more stable car at 180+, yet so docile around town, with a smooth clutch and precise shifter. If I could afford it, I'd buy it tomorrow...

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would never be without a viper, car and club just to much fun to ever give up.
i do plan on owning one but not at the price its at now. the ford gt is a lame
duck as after 2006 it will no longer be made or upgraded, thats what worries me
most and who the heck at the ford dealership can work on one,lol. i want a silver
with black stripes. unless price drops out of the sky it will be awhile before
i see it in my garage. :D

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GT is anything but a kit car. It's certainly in a different league than a Noble or TVR etc. The only car I've driven that feels more solidly put together with a better attention to detail is an Aston DB9, and even that isn't that far beyond the GT. I'd put the paint against that of any Ferrari. The interior is simple, but a much more aesthetically pleasing and special place to be than that of a Viper or Corvette. And it's engineered way beyond what a kit car is. You'll be hard pressed to find a more stable car at 180+, yet so docile around town, with a smooth clutch and precise shifter. If I could afford it, I'd buy it tomorrow...

I have to differ on the interior statement. The interior comes straight from the original car with very few allowances for comfort and ergonomics. From what I've read I would put the Z interior WAY ahead of the Ford and the Viper second. If you just mean it's pretty inside, then I agree.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wanted, isn't the Ford GT being replaced by the Shelby concept? That car is much more beautiful to look at imho. That truly has the lines of a classic, and I think it would be a great buy. I think old rumors stated 600hp and just under 100k? Might be a car that will give the viper crew a run for its customers money....

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd trade my Viper for it if it was an even trade. Sell it and then buy another viper and keep the extra $$ :D :D Sorry didn't check waht other people wrote on this one before posting hope someone else didn't suggest it already

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd trade my Viper for it if it was an even trade. Sell it and then buy another viper and keep the extra $$ :D :D Sorry didn't check waht other people wrote on this one before posting hope someone else didn't suggest it already

*raises hand* :headbang:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd NOT give up my Viper, but I would take the Ford GT over a new Viper. So if I had a choice, both cars the same price, I'd take the Ford GT. I just dont want to sell my Viper becasue its family. Sure it might not be the fastest kid on the block, or the newest, but dammit its my kid !!

The GT is in my opinion, a better car, hate that its a Ford, but still a bette sports car. So yes, I would take it over a new viper.

Jon

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[I have to differ on the interior statement. The interior comes straight from the original car with very few allowances for comfort and ergonomics. From what I've read I would put the Z interior WAY ahead of the Ford and the Viper second. If you just mean it's pretty inside, then I agree.

I meant in terms of quality/looks. Switchgear(outside of the ac vents, which aren't bad but are clearly from the family parts bin), materials, gauges, the McIntosh head unit, the glowing HVAC controls, shifter, trans tunnel cover, etc are all light years ahead of the fisher price ******** Chevy tries to pawn off as "world class"(the last Viper I drove was a Gen II RT/10 so I can't comment on the current car). It's certainly not as good as the Vette(and I assume the Viper) if you mean long roadtrip comfort and storage. I hear that it's not so good for people over 6'2 either, but I drove for several hours with a passenger ~that height and he had no qualms... oh yeah, and did I mention looking behind your head and seeing the monster supercharger about 6inches away behind the glass?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang