VEC2 direct connect write problems

Ted Bigham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this problem....?

I'm connecting directly to my VEC2. I can read settings, verify, and view info with no problems. But when I try to write anything besides the exact settings that were read, I get a communication error. The red light will usually blink or remain on, and sometimes I continue to get errors no matter what until I turn the ignition key off then back on.

The bootloader doesn't seem to have any problem accessing the VEC2, but it does give an interesting message when I hit the info button. It give the serial number, the bootloader version, then says "System locked" and "System protected". I'm not sure if this is a sign of the problem or if it always says that.

I haven't used any encryption codes, and the error message is different for that, so I doubt that's the issue. I've also checked the serial cable with a tester and there are no broken or crossed connections.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

OP
OP
T

Ted Bigham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. When you use encryption codes, a new message box pops up and gives a completely different message. I doubt thats the problem, but of course, I don't know for sure.

carl B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about to fit my VEC2 but the manual does not mention the one I have has two black plastic boxes where as the manual only speaks of the one??

Where did you guys mount the larger Box??

Carl

OP
OP
T

Ted Bigham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember my instructions forgeting about the second box too. Apparently they haven't been updated since. I ended up with one box velcro'd behind the computer and the other box zip tied to the heater hose right behind the passenger side valve cover.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
(This has all just been typed again as internet explorer crashed when I went to do spell check the first time....)

The third light on the VEC2 is a status light. Blinking indicates an error. An error can be: attempting to write a program with the incorrect dataset software (a box with S106 firmware cannot read a S105 program an visa versa) or attempting to write a program to the VEC2 via card / cable when the box is “locked” without using the correct serial and encryption numbers.
1. Make sure your software and VEC2 are programmed using the same software (the VEC2 will have a tag on the bottom that says S104, 105 or 106 and the VEC2 software will show it on the general page).
2. Input your box serial number and encryption code into the software fields. You have to do this because your box is “locked” and will only read a coded file.
3. Attempt to write the program to the box and verify it with the verify button.
4. If it wrote to the box and it verified “ok”, you’re set and your box was locked and you weren’t using the correct code.
5. If you’re getting a communication error, there may be a fault in the transmit wire between the 9 pin serial connector and VEC2.
6. Take the cover off of the serial connector and check the wires. There may be excess solder touching a pin or the strain relief may have cut into a wire and is making contact with the chrome cover (ran into that myself recently, then had all in inventory checked).

The black boxes: There’s a small black plastic box at the end of a Y loom on all VEC2 harnesses. The box is about 3”x1.5”x1” and it has two screws holding its cover on. At the other end of the loom is a ten pin female connector. This box contains a custom load board that mimics the electrical pulse of a firing injector (so the PCM can be disconnected from the injectors without setting a check engine light).
Additionally, a car may have a second black box. The second box is larger, approximately 5”x3”x1.5” and has four screws holding on its cover. This box contains resistors and is ONLY used when the VEC2 is driving low resistance injectors. If the car has stock, blue top or green top injectors, it will not have or need this box. If the car is a Gen1 and has one of our design SC kits, it will have this box integrated into the injector harness and there will be no mention of its function (all Gen1 SC’s use the low resistance injectors). If the car is a Gen2 and has the black top low resistance injectors (designated on the smart cards as L53), the box will have 10 pin male and female connectors at it’s ends. The box of resistors is plugged in between the VEC2 output and the factory injector harness (VEC2 10 pin male to black box 10 pin female, then to injector harness female). When a SC kit goes out with the low resistance injectors (all in the last year), the box is supposed to be plugged into the VEC2 harness already and have a small label on it indicating where it is supposed to be.
If anyone has any questions, contact me directly. My personal e-mail, the shop phone number and my personal mobile number are all in the instructions.

Regards,
Sean

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang