Vendor Ethics

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen considerable discussions about various vendors the past week and how they are treated because of competitions with the VPA.

I won't post the name of the specific vendor; but I remember when three - four years back I had hit a curb and bent my ACR rims. I was trying to find
replacements which were almost non-existent. I was communicating with one vendor who had the wheels and he told me how I could pay him a certain amount; but
he would make out the invoice for a higher amount that I could give my insurance company.

Not a vendor I could ever deal with! That is insurance fraud!

Now I am sure that wouldn't bother some people; but it did me for two reasons:

1. I have a conscience,

2. I have helped LEO's arrest and charge over 500 people for theft, fraud and other criminal acts across the country during the past ten years.
I sure wouldn't let myself get caught up in doing something criminal for my own personal gain.

I would like to have had the wheels; but wound up purchasing two that were chrome and having them painted black.
Just so you know I then had the two damaged one's repaired and power coated; but I still run the replacements and keep
the repaired one's as spares.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
500 people?????? holy hell is it like a hobby? LOL

PLEASE tell me excessive speeding is not on the list LOL

OP
OP
johniew398

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
500 people?????? holy hell is it like a hobby? LOL

PLEASE tell me excessive speeding is not on the list LOL

LOL, no it was my job until I retired last month. I headed up a corporate security department. That wasn't one case, that was probably 400 individual cases as there was only a handful that involved organized groups.

And no, traffic offenses were none of our business.

When people would hear the number I would tell them my bonus was tied to the # of arrests (it wasn't; but it sounded good).

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you to have strong ethics. Some folks are willing to sell their souls for very little.

Your corp security job (Walmart I'm guessing?) must have been pretty interesting. If you get bored, would your old employer hire you as a contractor as needed?

OP
OP
johniew398

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you to have strong ethics. Some folks are willing to sell their souls for very little.

Your corp security job (Walmart I'm guessing?) must have been pretty interesting. If you get bored, would your old employer hire you as a contractor as needed?

I would have guessed the same thing; but, no, never worked for Walmart.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree, morals are a thing of the past these days. you see it everywhere with everything

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP, I appreciate that you did not post the name of the vendor who thought that he was helping you by doing you a favor. I don't really see the point of the post myself; but, it does serve as a talking point.

As I remember many years ago when my house was burglarized, my insurance company took my listing of what had been stolen, looked up retail replacement values, and paid me that amount. I did not read the fine print of my insurance policy; but, I assume that is what they were obligated to pay. They didn't concern themselves with what the actual price I paid for replacements was.

Perhaps this is what the vendor was thinking in terms of. Or perhaps some other reasonable interpretation that I do not know of.

I am not going to assume that there was illegal intent in your situation.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While we are all stuck with insurance as a fact of life, the whole insurance game is a fraud in how it is implemented, in everything from home, to auto to medical, etc.. So called legal process for what is cost is built on overcharge and negotiation after the fact. Legal medical companies do this everyday in a legal process,which seems strange and fraudulent to me but happens with all of them every day. I can understand your ethics discussion though the insurance game itself is riddled with fraud IMHO. Not saying it is good or bad, it is a racket.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP, I appreciate that you did not post the name of the vendor who thought that he was helping you by doing you a favor. I don't really see the point of the post myself; but, it does serve as a talking point.

As I remember many years ago when my house was burglarized, my insurance company took my listing of what had been stolen, looked up retail replacement values, and paid me that amount. I did not read the fine print of my insurance policy; but, I assume that is what they were obligated to pay. They didn't concern themselves with what the actual price I paid for replacements was.

Perhaps this is what the vendor was thinking in terms of. Or perhaps some other reasonable interpretation that I do not know of.

I am not going to assume that there was illegal intent in your situation.

Yes, correct.. ONLY an idiot defends an insurance company that takes legalized regulated bets from policyholders in return only to be so happy that an event/claim never occurs.

Funny how "mutual" insurance companies forget to refund excess premiums to shareholders/policyholders each and every year as they are regulated to do so.

Please do not insult anyone by defending an abusive racketeering industry labeled "insurance"

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on you OP, that's refreshing to read.

The heartburn I have with insurance (premiums) is knowing I'm subsidizing those that can't or won't buy responsible coverage for themselves.

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Scenario:

Your in a minor accident causing damage to a rear bumper. Accident is claimed on either parties insurance....you decide

You also have a small scratch on your door panel (not related to the accident) that you've wanted to have repaired but never found the time or funds....whatever the reason may be.

The body shop says they will repair all damages under the claim. "It will not be noticeable on the claim documents"

What would you do?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This also applies to those paint-less dent removal companies.....

Severe hail storm damaged panels..... they file the claim to remove XX dents under claim

X of those dents were not storm damage related...

What would you do?

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't see why the OP did not buy the wheels for the price offered and report the as-paid price to the insurance company rather than go elsewhere and buy something he didn't really want. I would have told the vendor, "No thanks, just do a normal sale and transaction, I have no issues with the way my insurance company handles claims."

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious that you bring this up after 4 years but what you describe is often done by the insurance companies themselves. Body shops are often asked to give kickbacks to insurance companies to be "preferred" repair facilities. Not sure that fits your definition of fraud but when insurance companies base rates on claims and then take kickbacks from shops - well you get the idea where the fraud is for policy holders. You could have bought the rims and told your company what you paid and got a good deal on the rims you needed and been honest at the same time. Win, win, win!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sell wheels. I'd just like to point out that I'd be willing to send anyone an invoice for a set of wheels, and have them pay MORE than the invoice. That would be the opposite of this situation, and I would greatly appreciate the extra generosity. This offer is open to anyone!

:D

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't see why the OP did not buy the wheels for the price offered and report the as-paid price to the insurance company rather than go elsewhere and buy something he didn't really want. I would have told the vendor, "No thanks, just do a normal sale and transaction, I have no issues with the way my insurance company handles claims."
AZTVR you saved me on typing the same question!