VIDEO - Viper Dyno Day and Exhaust Sound Tests

Supr_Vlln

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On April 5th, the SoCal Club had a Dyno Day at Stack Performance in Anaheim, CA. Ryan and his team were very gracious hosts and took good care of us and our cars...not to mention fed us some yummy burgers! A big thank you to them for supporting us! And of course, Dan and Cathy worked their usual magic "herding cats" to organize this event. Hats off and thanks to them!

In addition to just a Dyno Day, I wanted to add a bonus and shoot some video and measure sound levels to help answer some age old questions about exhaust systems. We’ve all seen the posts…”What kind of exhaust should I get?”, “Should I get headers?”, “What will it sound like?”, “How loud will it be?”

I hope that this video will help as an initial reference point for some of those questions. I kept it focused on just Gen 3 and 4 to make it easy on me. I wished there was more variety in the setups, but it just means we need more people in the club to MOD! :D

VIDEO Part 1 of 2
(exhaust video comes in right after the photo slide show at about 2:09 mins)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6plghgsJcg[/media]

VIDEO Part 2 of 2
(we even had a non-Viper guest car at the end ;) Its okay he's got a Gen 4 ACR too:2tu:)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwRZEG9PVf4[/media]

Lets hope youtube doesn't screw with the videos because of the little bit of music at the beginning and end. Otherwise I'll have to re-post them somewhere else.

NUMBERS GAME
A little note about dyno numbers...don't get too hung up on the numbers. You cannot really go around comparing dyno numbers unless they were all taken on the same dyno. This is because every dyno is different as well as the conditions during which they are run. Even among the same brand, the readings can be different. This one will cook your noodle...at Stack Performance my car dyno'd 489 HP. A week later I dyno'd the car at DC Performance in West LA and it registered 472 HP. Both dynos were the same type- Dyno Jet. So did I suddenly lose 17 HP? Nope! Just proves my point…different dynos read differently.

Now don’t get me wrong, its always fun to see what your car will dyno at and since each dyno is different, it is sort of a guess every time…kinda like Keno, only not as fun. But at least you won’t be surrounded by blue haired, chain smoking, old ladies screaming “Keno!”

EXHAUST NOTES
The sound quality of an exhaust system is subjective and dependant on each individual’s tastes. But to help answer how loud will it be, the sound level meter helps quantify that into terms most everyone can relate to. In this case, the sound is measured in decibels and it is expressed as a unit of dB or dBA to show the “A” weighting which closely relates to human hearing. It is also important to note that decibel units are exponential as the numbers go up. For example, a sound that is 60 dBA is TWICE as loud as a sound that is 50 dBA.

A 1 dBA difference is practically imperceptible to human hearing. In other words, we can’t tell the difference between 70 dBA and 71 dBA. At about a 3 dBA difference, we start to notice a slight change in sound levels. A 5 dBA difference is definitely noticeable. A 10 dBA difference is perceived as twice as loud between two sounds.

To help better illustrate this and to provide a reference point here are some sound comparisons:

(The following list taken from a study by Marshall Chasin)
-A Quiet Library = 30 dB
-People talking in conversation (3’ to 5’ distance) = 60-70 dB
-Phone dial tone (held right up to your ear) = 80 dB
-City Traffic (inside car) = 85 dB
-Train Whistle at 500’ = 90 dB
-Snowmobile, Motorcycle = 100 dB
-Power Mower at 3’ = 107 dB
-Power Saw at 3’ = 110 dB
-Sandblasting or Loud Rock Concert = 115 dB
-Jet Engine at 100’ or a Gun Blast = 140 dB

Sustained exposure to sound levels of 90 to 95 dB without hearing protection can result in hearing loss.

As for our Vipers, I was able to baseline a stock Gen 3 and a stock Gen 4 and then a couple of different setups for each. I noted sound levels at cruising, high speed, and then the peak at wide open throttle. In some cases I had to take a weighted average of the sound. Here is what I found:

2004 Gen 3 that is totally stock
Cruising = 77 dBA
High Speed = 84 dBA
WOT = 107 dBA

The exhaust temp at the tips after the dyno run was 308 degrees.

05 and 06 Gen 3 with just 3” Corsa Track mufflers
Cruising = 78 dBA
High Speed = 86 dBA
WOT = 107 dBA

Exhaust tip temp after the dyno run was 369 degrees.

My theory as to why the cars with Corsas were hotter at the tip than the Stock one has to do with the long crossover tube in the stock system. The further the hot exhaust gases have to travel from the engine the more it cools down. This happens not only due to the length of travel, but also with more metal tubing present more of the heat is absorbed like a heat sink. Since the Corsas do away with the crossover tube, the exhaust gases go straight out the sides and stays hotter thereby also helping to maintain hot gas velocity. The stock system retains more of the heat and keeps us nice and toasty inside…if only we lived in Vermont.

Also interesting to note is that the Corsa had the same sound levels as the stock system during cruising and WOT. And they were just a little bit louder at high speed. Though one thing the sound level meter can’t really measure is tone. While the sound levels between the two were similar, the Corsa had a deeper tone than the stock system. The human ear may perceive this as louder even though it really isn’t.

06 Gen 3 with American Racing Headers (1-5/8” X 1-3/4” step design with Swain Tech thermal barrier coating) and Classic Chambered Exhaust’s 3” Cobrapacks 28” body length with packing.
Cruising = 83 dBA
High Speed = 88 dBA
WOT = 113 dBA

Yes, Virgina, headers do make the car louder and No there is no Santa Clause. I’ll be doing a separate write up of this exhaust system and how it came together at another time (soon, I promise!).

08 Gen 4 with stock exhaust
Cruising = 78 dBA
High Speed = 83 dBA
WOT = 107 dBA

Sound levels were pretty much the same as a Stock Gen 3.

08 Gen 4 with Belanger headers and exhaust
Cruising = 80 dBA
High Speed = 88 dBA
WOT = 112 dBA

At WOT and High Speed, definitely louder than stock and on par with the 06 header/exhaust Viper. However at cruising it was only a little louder than stock, but still quieter than the Gen 3 header/exhaust car. Damn VVT! ;)

09 Gen 4 ACR with Belanger headers and stock mufflers
Cruising = 79 dBA
High Speed = 86 dBA
WOT = 112 dBA

This setup is a little quieter at high speed from the Gen 4 with full Belangers. But again the perception of tone plays in here. The Belanger with stock mufflers had a more mellow tone than the full Belanger header/exhaust package which had a deeper tone.

08 Gen 4 with Belanger headers and Corsa Exhaust
Cruising = 79 dBA
High Speed = 87 dBA
WOT = 114 dBA

Sound levels pretty much matched up with the other mod’ed Gen 4’s and just a little louder at WOT. Tone was a little more raspy.

Ford GT
Cruising = 83 dBA
High Speed = 90 dBA
WOT = 111 dBA

Not a Viper, but everybody is going to ask so might as well post the numbers. I don’t know what the setup of the car was. Made some mad power though! At cruising, sound level on par with the mod’ed 06 Gen 3. At high speed, louder than most all. But surprisingly, at WOT about the same as the mod’ed Gen 4s.

Overall it seems that headers have the most effect on the Viper’s loudness (especially at WOT). This does not include heads/cam or supercharger cars. Muffler changes with factory headers are more about heat reduction and changes in exhaust note/tone with little penalty in overall loudness, at least with the Corsas. Muffler changes on cars with headers seem to pay more dividends in terms of power. And between the Corsa, Belanger, Cobrapacks and Stock muffler, sound level loudness were close to the same.

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anhtuan, great work!!! the video and the info is very good!! I left before the SSG and Bruce's GT ran, nice to see them in your video. Hope to have the computer in next week, let's see if I can pull another 8 plus HP and take out the SSG. Thanks again! See you at CA speedway?? Mike

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info, now I'm leaning towards the full Belanger set up. I hope to hear one in person soon before I buy. I think the owner at Roanoke has this on his car. I will need to take a run down and hear it for my self.

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears the power winner is Belanger system with Corsa exhaust for a GenIV. Is there only one version of the Belanager or Corsa for the Gen IV? If not, which part number are they?

Great write up and video. Thanks for the information.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears the power winner is Belanger system with Corsa exhaust for a GenIV. Is there only one version of the Belanager or Corsa for the Gen IV? If not, which part number are they?

Great write up and video. Thanks for the information.

The guy with Belanger/Corsa, also said he had Mopar ECM and 170 T-stat. The ECM alone could account for the higher HP # + variance from car to car.

OP
OP
S

Supr_Vlln

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The guy with Belanger/Corsa, also said he had Mopar ECM and 170 T-stat. The ECM alone could account for the higher HP # + variance from car to car.

Agreed. The SSG had the Mopar ECU and the other Gen4s did not. That probably had more to do with putting it over the top. BTW that guy was Ryan the owner of Stack Performance and that was a customer's car.

As for the other question, as far as I know Belanger only makes one set of headers for the Gen 4. Same goes for the Corsas.

Thanks guys for all the comments! It is a bit of work putting this kind of data, write up and video together. Glad to see that it was helpful and that you liked it...makes it all worth it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Supr_Vlln

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anhtuan, great work!!! the video and the info is very good!! I left before the SSG and Bruce's GT ran, nice to see them in your video. Hope to have the computer in next week, let's see if I can pull another 8 plus HP and take out the SSG. Thanks again! See you at CA speedway?? Mike

Thanks Mike! Your new ECU should put you right there with the SSG. I assume you would dyno it again at Stack?

I won't be at CA Speedway until June. The car is getting heads and cam upgrades at DC right now. Should be done by end of this month, but cutting it a little close for running in Fontana mid-May. Besides they are running that with the Porsche Club as an advance/intermediate level run and my driving skill and confidence just isn't quite there yet ;)

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anhtuan,
It was nice meeting you and thank you for the best exhaust comparison video of any web site, any forum, any where. :2tu:

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the expending the calories to make your post so comprehensive, it has taken the subjectivity out of the equation. Well done !!!

OP
OP
S

Supr_Vlln

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments! Glad you guys like it. I am working on another exhaust write up and videos based on what I just went through on my car. Will post up soon!
:eater:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This was a very interesting dyno day. As a result of this test, I switched my muffler system from the OE 2009 set up on my ACR to the Corsa System (both behind Belanger Headers). This Corsa System is much improved over the first one I tried on my SRT-10 back in 04.

I can tell all of you that the sound at WOT is very aggressive, at idle it is deep but relatively quiet (still sets off alarms) and has no drone at cruise.....and it seems to make a bit more power, specifically more torque, than the OE or Belanger supplied 20 inch Magnaflow muffler. I'll dyno the car again and post the results.

Dan

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, hope to catch up with you soon and get the details on the corsa set up. Now sure if I'd get all the torque like the SSG but would like to eliminate or reduce drone. Like to try your's/mine back to back to test. Hoping to get the ecu done this Friday. Maybe w/corsa and ecu get to 600? Mike

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Mike,

You might just get to 600 rwhp on a good day with the ECU. Your car runs very strong.

We'll be cruising to Palm Springs tomorrow with the club and should be home tomorrow night and Sunday if you'd like to do a comparison drive.

Dan

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 Corsa must be different, I had a 3in Track on an 05 and it was very loud even with CCi
3 disk inserts, at idle in the garage you couldn't hear a normal conversation.

RD

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supr_Vlln - What an awesome video!!! cool to watch and listen just for the fun of it, but all the information you gathered the day of and the way you put it on the vid make this irreplaceable! Thanks for doing all that work and sharing it with us :2tu:
... helped me pick the right setup for my Gen 3:headbang:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I greatly appreciated all the great video sound clips. Cobrapacks were new to me. I thought those sounded pretty dim good. Corsas sounded better than I thought.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post. Sound level data was very interesting. I have a supercharged 06 with Random Tech High Flow Cats and a Corsa exhaust. The SCCA's sound police busted me at NJMP a few weeks back for being too loud on the straight. They clocked the sound at 105dB which was over their limit of 103dB. I believe volume decreases with the square of the distance from the source. If this is true and given that the 105 was measured by a Van parked off the side of the track, I wonder what the sound level at the exhaust exit was.

My exhaust setup is definitely louder than stock at virtually any RPM or load. It also does drone a bit on the highway.

BTW, the SCCA realized after I asked that their sound limits were not actually in effect for that weekend so I was allowed to continue running.