Vipair Hardtop not even close to fitting. Please help! Pics inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
I

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are the new pics.

Here is a big hole in the driver side window, anyway to fix?

You must be registered for see images

Here is the top back corner of the driver side window not sealing, has a gap in there.

Couple back shots, its still sticking up in the back rounded corners....

Here are the side latches, only way to get them tight enough is to have the bolt coming up the top like that, and then it hits on the allen bolt before it can latch all the way.

Gap in back driver side

Back again

Front edge

OP
OP
I

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those side latches were as tight as possible, bolt laying up against the top allen bolt while wrapping the velcro around. But as soon as you let go they slack off like that.

Does the top allen bolt need to be replaced with a low profile convex headed allen bolt?

OP
OP
I

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why didn't start off by asking Steve this personally before attacking him on the forums with the accusations you posted?

I sent him pics at the beginning of july showing how it fit, he gave me no insight then on how to fix it. Then after the tonneau came I emailed a few times about it still not fitting with no reply.

So the forums turned out to be where I needed to go to get answers and I appreciate Steve's input here. Its fitting alot better now with his help than it was earlier today. Still have a ways to go though as you can see in the pics. I hope we can figure it out.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the new pics.

Here is a big hole in the driver side window, anyway to fix?

Here is the top back corner of the driver side window not sealing, has a gap in there.

Couple back shots, its still sticking up in the back rounded corners....

Here are the side latches, only way to get them tight enough is to have the bolt coming up the top like that, and then it hits on the allen bolt before it can latch all the way.

Gap in back driver side

Back again

Front edge

Matt,

Next thing I would do is uncouple the coupler nuts and zip off the amount that is equal to what is extending out the top of the latch and then start adjusting again

OP
OP
I

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So shorten the bolt it what your saying with a cutoff wheel? I will give that a try tonight.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, shorten with a cut off wheel (easier to remove than to add) and then start adjusting down until we get it seated so there are no gaps.

Once you get it fitted, then it will be an easy on/off, flip the latch thing, its just the getting it set to your particular car thing that you have to endure first off.

V

VCA Forum Staff

Alright everyone...let's get this thread back on track. If you hve info that can help the OP in reguards to gettin his top installed successfully then please help him out otherwise we will have to close this thread.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the looks of the top on the white convertible, it looks like the top fits under or adjacent to the trunk hatch as opposed to sitting on top of it???? Does the coupe rear end make a difference?

Nader,

The coupe rear end fits just like a convert trunk and quarters do, the front half of the coupe rear conversion is a convert trunk, exactly. The pics of the black car are with the front latch so tight the whole roof is suspended mid air, (I guess this shows how strong it is, LOL) it is not touching the collapsed roof like it should be and it will not touch the trunk or the quarters it is not big enough to come anywhere near them.

Here is a zoomed in view, the top is not even touching at teh rear with the front latch sooo tight

Steve, earlier I posted that maybe there is another part number (out of ignorance) and that he possibly was sent the wrong one... but now I see there is only one hood that fits both as explained above.
Do you think it is an optical illusion due to the white is flat and the black is glossy that these appear to have a different shape? Maybe the black just has the illusion of more contour? :dunno:
That white one looks pretty sweet!

:idea: Another thought...
Is it possible the windshield angle on all vipers can vary a bit? Therefore when you latch it up front, depending on the slant of the windshield it may already be presenting a different fit. If his windshield is 1 degree more verticle then that could have a huge impact on the latch pulling it up in the back, right?

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, earlier I posted that maybe there is another part number (out of ignorance) and that he possibly was sent the wrong one... but now I see there is only one hood that fits both as explained above.
Do you think it is an optical illusion due to the white is flat and the black is glossy that these appear to have a different shape? Maybe the black just has the illusion of more contour? :dunno:
That white one looks pretty sweet!

:idea: Another thought...
Is it possible the windshield angle on all vipers can vary a bit? Therefore when you latch it up front, depending on the slant of the windshield it may already be presenting a different fit. If his windshield is 1 degree more verticle then that could have a huge impact on the latch pulling it up in the back, right?

VYPR BYT 94

You are correct in your assumptions, the SRT is a car that has so many pieces glued on that what fits one car perfectly will need adjustment on another and vice versa

user-online.png

OP
OP
I

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, shorten with a cut off wheel (easier to remove than to add) and then start adjusting down until we get it seated so there are no gaps.

Once you get it fitted, then it will be an easy on/off, flip the latch thing, its just the getting it set to your particular car thing that you have to endure first off.

OK Ill try that. Am I hooking the side latches in the correct place? I don't see where else I could hook them but just want to be sure its right before I shorten them.

sssammm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bubbling is a nightmare for carbon and fibreglass, over here, any carbon or fibreglass that goes for painting is put in an oven so that any later problem with bubbles will show themselves and can be attended to and prepped, its no big deal

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bubbling is a nightmare for carbon and fibreglass, over here, any carbon or fibreglass that goes for painting is put in an oven so that any later problem with bubbles will show themselves and can be attended to and prepped, its no big deal

Come on Sssammm,

Just because you guys invented the stuff ....

LOL

OP
OP
I

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve, am I hooking the side latches in the correct spot? I want to be sure before I just some threads off to shorten them.
Thanks.

Viper0062

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have done thousands of dollars worth of business with Steve. I think he may try to please everyone all the time and loads himself up. I am very pleased with him and his service. I know nothing about the problems stated above, just wanted to let
members know how he has taken care of me every time. Just had coil overs installed last week that I purchased from Steve and should be getting Viper out of shop this week. I hope that any problems can be worked out as I know Steve wants to help.

V

VCA Forum Staff

Alright everyone....this thread has gotten way off topic and it's time to shut it down.

V

VCA Forum Staff

Posts not related to the OP's issue have been deleted. If your post is not here, this why and consider this your notification. This thread will remain visible but closed and be upated once a resolution to the OPs' problem has been reached.

VCA Forum Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.