Viper ACR concept shown at SEMA

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, Hoosier DOT slicks are street legal. Should help regain the Ring record ;)

Sub 7 for sure. But the internet would explode..

also notice those look like a/r 6 which will soon be replaced by a/r 7 which dont have grooves all the way around. I think the new ones may still meet DOT stamdards though not sure.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PHP:
Guys, Hoosier DOT slicks are street legal. Should help regain the Ring record ;)

Interesting and cool. But I know if it does come with these tires there will be complaints from the other mfg/fans of other marques that its running ringer tires just like they did with th previous gens MPSC's. What is the life expectancy of such a tire if used for both street and track?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
So the question I'm surprised no one has asked yet, will those brakes fit on an older car? Did the rotor offset or anything change in the new car? Even if the offset is different, would the new rings bolt up to old hats to make it retrofit-able?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget that you were also teased 10 years ago with a street legal Comp Coupe Style Viper.
Never Happened.....

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You missed the part of my post that said in the "SEMA confiugration". The SEMA car shows the possibility. The production car will look similar but it will have to have a slightly different front splitter, be higher off the ground, and probably a few other changes to make it street legal in all states.

I did. My bad.

natsfan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We all have a new reason to work hard and earn some more cash. I want one. Glad to see they finally went to a six piston caliper.

Reaction score
Why not TT it, after all it's just a concept! Get even more press than the 735hp Stang!
Unless Mopar is going to release the strangle hold on the PCM there is no reason to show a concept that has no chance of happening from the factory. I have not seen any indication they are going to re consider the decision.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless Mopar is going to release the strangle hold on the PCM there is no reason to show a concept that has no chance of happening from the factory. I have not seen any indication they are going to re consider the decision.
Well, I guess the aftermarket will have to do the build! It won't get the same press as a MOPAR ACR though. :(

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's sad and strange really that Dodge still holding the PCM code.

Have to admit the 2014 car are more refined but I miss the old days of the VEC and tunes and I guess I'm not going to buy another Viper because Dodge keeps disappointing me lately not listening to what we wants and I bought more than 8 vipers.

Mbn

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
For what it's worth, there seems to be a common misconception that GM releases their codes for tuners. This is NOT true. I talked with the head of the GM transmission controls group at a conference recently and asked him about it. He confirmed that ALL modern cars have their ECM/TCMs encrypted from the factory. The GM stuff has to get cracked the same as any Viper computers might, the difference being there are TONS of GM cars out there that use a fairly common computer (or encryption between them at least), so there is more reason to crack it. Say 10% of people want to mod and tune their cars. That's 100 Vipers a year (unique controller not shared with any other car), but probably 1000+ GM cars depending on what all is common between them. The GM system may not be the most complex encryption and they might be fully aware of that fact, but that doesn't mean that they like people messing with them.

I straight asked the guy what he thought of tuners who thought they knew how to tune transmission controls better than an OEM with thousands of hours on a dyno. He pretty much just said he's seen them and wouldn't waste his money. I can see how engine tuning is a different story as mods lead to the need for changes. Stock tunes are also designed for longevity, even in the most extreme conditions, so any change is likely to reduce product life. Granted, we don't all run our engines at maximum output in 120 degree weather for 24 hours straight, so realistically most people would probably never notice.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And every single guy who blew up a part or component which their aftermarket PCM caused to fail by stressing it beyond tested limitations
would be looking to revert it back to stock and get it fixed on Dodge's dime under a warranty.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why aren't all Vipers ACR's. I've never understood this. This car appeals to a specific crowd, give it to them. This IS the car Viper owners want. Last Gen ACR's were the hot sellers, carbon brakes, FINALLY! I can understand building the mild version of the Viper down the road, but why build it first....... I think the lights are burning strong and all night long at Dodge these days. Thank you Chevrolet for building the new Z-06, otherwise the Viper would be a sinking ship.

Last edited:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um. I'm pretty sure the ship is sinking just the same.

Not sure why it's so hard to believe that they'd do an ACR since the last gen version was teased the same way at the same venue. I say make it & go out on top.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers should have been the TA at first, then a vert and a ACR. That would have been the best scenario possible. SRT tried a market strategy that didn't work out as planned. Given what the Vipers are selling for, they are right around where they should have been to start with. Feel for the guys who paid MSRP or near that early on.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the majority of Viper buyers want ACRs, its just that they never built a really dedicated track car until the GenIV, and it was so much faster than all the G1-III cars, esp modded, that all the track guys jumped onboard. The challenge for the G5, imo, is to make it a lot faster than the G4, although it can certainly be done with aero refinement, HP bump, and wt reduction. Not so much buzz for this car so far bcz of the lack of any performance data. The boys at the Shop seem to understand the importance of Laguna and Ring times, and I suspect that a race track is where they will demonstrate specs on the car.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You have to figure that there's a lot more competition out there now than there used to be for track cars as well. Everything from go kart style Ariel Atoms, KTM XBows, BAC Monos, etc. up to full race style cars like the GT3 RS and special edition Ferraris. Back in the 90s the Viper was one of the first factory cars that was a pretty thinly veiled race car dressed up as a street car. When the gen 4 ACR hit it was just a blatant race car that happened to have comfortable seats. Other manufacturers were starting to catch up at that point, but the Viper was still more race car than street car with the monstrous aero on it compared to others out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets