Viper crash in La Habra Ca... I think I need a roll bar...

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,
One of my best friends is a La Habra police officer and a racer. He stopped by my house yesterday to do some work on his car and brought some pics of a terrible Viper crash on his patrol about a month ago.
Story goes, Gen 2 RT/10 owner lets friend go for a cruise, friend doesnt know the power of the Viper and somehow lost control at about 100mph on city street (Beach Bl. for those who know) and hit a truck, flew over center divider and landed upside down.
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like the sport bar was completely torn away from the body...
I think Ineed a roll bar...My friend didnt know what became of the occupants except they were hurt bad...I hope they ended up fully recovering...

Cheers,
Scott

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Sad to see, hope they recovered.

Sure look ugly when they are all bent up.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AUTOFORM ROLL BAR RULES!

i had been looking at options for rollbars now i think i'll get it sooner then later.

rt/10's and srt/10's need rollbars. (PERIOD) also looking to install 6 point harness belts.

IT JUST MAKES SENCE. :2tu:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AUTOFORM ROLL BAR RULES!

i had been looking at options for rollbars now i think i'll get it sooner then later.

rt/10's and srt/10's need rollbars. (PERIOD) also looking to install 6 point harness belts.

IT JUST MAKES SENCE. :2tu:

What makes "sence" is to drive semi-sanely(notice the SEMI part ;) ). Doing a 100 in town ain't the best move. ******* wrecked a Viper due to stupidity. :( Does anybody realize how hard it is to flip this car? Retorical question, not looking for a response :D

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That crash was VIOLENT. VERY VIOLENT.

The stock roll bar / roll hoop / thing under the sport pad is extrmeemly stout. It's 1x2 box tubing - quite thick walled- heavy as crap, etc. We cut it out of the former race car due to the fact it had a very strong cage set higher than the stocker.

The way it was torn away speaks volumes about the speed and the angle of shear. Not sure anything would have fared any better- to be honest with you.

In an RT / GTS - I think the rollover protection is adequate. This was an oddball accident. (99 RT/10 is right on...)

OP
OP
S

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That crash was VIOLENT. VERY VIOLENT.

The stock roll bar / roll hoop / thing under the sport pad is extrmeemly stout. It's 1x2 box tubing - quite thick walled- heavy as crap, etc. We cut it out of the former race car due to the fact it had a very strong cage set higher than the stocker.

The way it was torn away speaks volumes about the speed and the angle of shear. Not sure anything would have fared any better- to be honest with you.

In an RT / GTS - I think the rollover protection is adequate. This was an oddball accident. (99 RT/10 is right on...)

Janni,
That makes me feel better, I know that you know your stuff...My friend thinks the sportbar got caught on the center divider as the the car slid upside down so the force pulled it to the rear of the car...maybe few rollbars could stand up to that force...
Also notice the air bag didnt even deploy, so the car probably never hit in the front, just flipped over and slid....... :eek:

Cheers,

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the sports/rally bar actually reinforced (skeleton frame, steel pipes)? I mean, is there any thing underneath the fiber glass shape? Or is it purely plastic?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the sports/rally bar actually reinforced (skeleton frame, steel pipes)? I mean, is there any thing underneath the fiber glass shape? Or is it purely plastic?

Saint, did you actually take the time read the reply's in this thread? :bonker:

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Saint, did you actually take the time read the reply's in this thread? :bonker:

Woops!! I reread that post. Hehehehe...my apologies. I thought he was talking about Autoform's rollbar. :D :eek:

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If no roll bar would have held up in that accident, what would have happened if they were using a rollbar/harnesses? A lot of harnesses are attached to the rollbar (harness guides); if the bar got sheared off, what about the occupants?
Also, just wondering how they get the stock hoop inside the fiberglass targa cover. Is it one of those "ship in a bottle" sorta things?

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a bad one. Someone had to hurt their head to say the least. Hope the driver was okay.