Viper dies when I come to a stop. AFTER i just did tune up :(

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Plugs
New Wires
New Air Filters

Starts right up, holds an idle. Soon as I start driving, every time i come to a stop light, or go in neutral it dies right away. What should I look at?

Thanks!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Idle Air Controller...be sure it is clean, connected, and functioning...search here will reveal procedure, agents, pitfalls.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Here is a post by dave6666:

The IAC can easily be removed for cleaning. One wire connector and 2 screws. You might want to have the gasket available although when I did mine the gasket was reusable.

Get some throttle body cleaner from the auto parts. Do not use carb or brake cleaner because they can dissolve rubber and plastic parts. When it is all spiffy inside give it a quick hosing inside with WD40 and shake out the excess.

Re-install and drive around and let your car relearn idle. Then enjoy a frosty beverage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you checked battery and its connectors?

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have to take a look at the IAC since that seems to be the most recommended thing to look at. Does anyone have a picture as to where its located? I think battery should be fine, its an Early 93 so I have to take out the spare tire and some super long bolts to even get to the battery so would like to do that last haha.

Thanks!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see any reason why the IAC would be acting up if he didnt touch it during the tune-up. Then again its the stuff that coincidentally breaks while working on something else that leads to difficult troublshooting that we all hate.

OP, Did you disconnect anything from the airbox while installing the filters? IAC hose/ IAS sensor. Doublecheck all is attached.

Also, did you disconnect the battery while working on her? If yes, it is possible your ECU/Throttle posistion sensor will have to relearn WOT and how to idle.
I think you just have to turn the key foward one click (not starting the motor) and push the throttle down all the way a couple times to tell the computer where WOT is. As for the Idle it takes alittle while of normal driving and idling for the computer to determine the exact posisions of the IAC to be in diff situations to idle properly

goodluck and keep us posted

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture as to where its located?

IAC hose comes off the passenger-side of the airbox and goes directly into the IAC valve which is bolted to the intake manifold just to the side of the passenger side throttlebody.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not disconnect the battery but i did remove 2 hoses one connected to each air box. I just shoved them back on once i changed the filters. Pretty sure those 2 hoses were the only thing connected to the air boxes and both are put back on. In searching this site I also saw people with simliar issues had to change their MAP sensor. Looking online MAP sensors seem to be about $130 (should they be cheaper?) which I would rather not spend if that's not going to fix it.

I can start with trying to clean the IAC and syncing the throttles

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, I had the exact same issue on my 2007 Saleen. Yea, I know its not a Viper. Car started and ran fine. When I lifted off the gas to slow for a toll or a light the RPMs would drop really low and the car would stall or at best just barely keep running. Car did not do it when new it started only after a few months of daily driving. Dealer had the car for 31 days. Turned out the PCM got confused or something. Dealer had to send the computer to Saleen to have it reflashed. Its been fine ever since.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the thing has been on a battery tender for the last 2 months, so thats why I am trying to rule out the possibility of it being the battery. I am going to try and get to the bottom of it probably this weekend and will post results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery