Viper forced to go to STAR smog program in California

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got the DMV renewal ( California) and my 00 GTS has to go the STAR smog program instead of a regular station. Anyone has the same issue?

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Directed and gross polluting vehicles"...what a crock. Dude, I lived in California for 18 years and glad I left. Love to visit occasionally, but would never live there. Good luck...

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great... just as it wasn't hard enough to pass.. Why can't they look at the low production special vehicle that the Viper is, and focus on bigger fish..
Don't get me started on which guns you can (rather can't) buy in CA..

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In CA, do they just plug a computer into the OBD2 port and check for trouble codes/ readiness monitors? Or do they actually do an emissions test from the exhaust?
We have something called "Aircare" here in Vancouver, but that program will finally come to an end this year! Can't tell you how glad I am. Good luck with your star smog program, whatever that is...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe California is in the process of changing from a dyno and tail pipe sniffer to a OBD2 program where if you are throwing no codes, you are good to go.

You might have just been randomly chooses to have your Viper checked out to provide data for this transition.

Most well maintained unmodified Vipers run clean as a whistle when going through smog.

Good luck luc

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank God I live in Texas! We can buy any gun we want and drive any car we want, at the same time!

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank God I live in Texas! We can buy any gun we want and drive any car we want, at the same time!
I hope you realize how lucky you are, thats awesome, One day in NJ and you would throw up:mad: .

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love all the comments, as if this program is a big deal. It's a regular smog check at a station that's part of the Star program. It's about the quality and performance of the station. It's got nothing to do with the consumer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62