Viper is #1 (and interesting for those that predict otherwise)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Article courtesy of Kingman Hitz by way of Joe Houss on another forum:

14viper.jpg

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the history of Vettes rapid depreciation, it may turn out the the Viper is the less expensive car to own.

Interesting quote from another location on this forum. If both cars cost the same, how many Z06's would be sold....answer none.

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If both cars cost the same, how many Z06's would be sold....answer none.
I also saw this and believe the Viper would easily outsell the Vette if priced the same.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GREAT POINT! Whether you pay cash or finance the car, the real cost is the depreciation over ownership (I guess the Snake uses more gas, too), but I've owned my Viper for 18 months and could likely sell it for what I have into it. I owned my Z06 for 18 months and lost about $12k (as expected). So which one really IS more the better VALUE... :)

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
60% in three years? I think it's higher. that's like saying my srt10 in 3 years will be worth low to mid 40s. I don't see that happening. And my GTS, has most likely stabilized at about low to mid 40's . Perhaps more if someone is after a Supercharged GTS.. I think that 60% depreciation number should be more towards 65-70%.

G

Reaction score
I have said this about Vipers all along. The Viper is produced in lower quanities and is by far the better investment (I used to have a couple Vettes).

Although I believe DC has to step up with some BIG new in the VERY NEAR FUTURE to keep the rummble on our side!

Come on DC, I am WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a question of mathematics really really .

Low production = higher resale value and maybe I am wrong, but there seems to be a growing number of Viper next generation enthusiats and potentially new Viper owners.

Its seems to really be growing exponentially. Is anyone else seeing this?

Patrick

PS: there is a similar thread on general talk to this.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know of any car that holds a better value than the Viper??? Forget about the Z06, it's still a mass produced Corvette.
-lou

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a value that Vipers will never get below. The parts of the Viper will always retain value and eventuallly climb as long as they are in great condition. 10 years from now, trying to get a sidesill for a Gen I or II or factory passenger side wheels for a Gen I will be near impossible. If possible, stock up on spare parts when affordable.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
60% in three years? I think it's higher. that's like saying my srt10 in 3 years will be worth low to mid 40s. I don't see that happening. And my GTS, has most likely stabilized at about low to mid 40's . Perhaps more if someone is after a Supercharged GTS.. I think that 60% depreciation number should be more towards 65-70%.

G

lol, have you seen what SRT's are selling for? 3yr old SRT's ARE selling for 40's, heck even the newer srts are selling for LESS than FE gts's. I would bank on your GTS being worth a good bit more than the srt in 2-3yrs.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, have you seen what SRT's are selling for? 3yr old SRT's ARE selling for 40's, heck even the newer srts are selling for LESS than FE gts's. I would bank on your GTS being worth a good bit more than the srt in 2-3yrs.

And you are an expert because...? As I recall, you don't own and never have owned a Viper. Maybe a handful of SRT's have ever seen the '40's, but commonplace it ain't.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
KBB, list the 2003 SRT with 18k miles and good shape, for $57k trade in, $74k retail....That's 60% plus... :cool: Kelly blue book

With all due respect...KBB has no clue when it comes to putting a true # on a car like the Viper. Look at real indicators like the Manheim Auction results. These are REAL LIFE sales. Listed below are the recent transactions. Add 10% for retail. These listed are for 03 Vipers in the last 30 days. 03 SRT's with 18,000 miles are worth 47-48k wholesale....52-53 retail. That is still well over 60% of original MSRP.

12/15/05 MANHEIM Regular $49,500 15,765 Avg BLACK 10G 6 Yes
12/15/05 W PALM Regular $57,200 2,531 Avg SILVER 10G 5 Yes
12/08/05 RIVRSIDE Lease $48,500 17,161 Below RED 10G 6 Yes
12/02/05 MANHEIM Regular $48,500 15,759 Below BLACK 10G 6 Yes
11/29/05 RIVRSIDE Lease $48,500 18,802 Below BLACK 10G 6 No
11/17/05 MANHEIM Regular $54,750 9,030 Avg RED 10G 6 Yes

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

G

I'm going to call BS on this one, I've been looking for a great deal on an SRT for 6 months. I check the internet every day. If one had hit the $40's and it wasn't salvage it would be in my garage. I have NEVER seen one in the $40's.
There IS a great deal right now on one in Covington, Louisiana on the beautiful shores of Lake Ponchartrain, just a little sloshy in the carpets perhaps. Ya gotta watch it when you see one so low!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lowest one I have ever seen was for $48,100 on eBay and it was purchased by a dealer and now relisted for $54,900. It is a red 2003 with about 25K miles and the black stripe in the middle.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how about the resale on a 1996 GTS? MSRP, $70k, and afer 9-10 years, you can still get 60% easily.....

The older Gen 1+2's have incredible value to original MSRP. Take a 94. Original MSRP of 58k....and you would have a hard time finding one for under 30k.....12 years later. The 96 BW is close to 80% of original MSRP. Even the '01 GTS.....well over 70% 5 years later. The '03 SRT is still over 70% of original MSRP.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lowest one I have ever seen was for $48,100 on eBay and it was purchased by a dealer and now relisted for $54,900. It is a red 2003 with about 25K miles and the black stripe in the middle.

Please don't mislead everyone by talking about the lowest you have ever seen at $48,100 but now it's at $54,900. If you found it at $48,000, why did you not buy it? There MUST be a reason you keep doing this extensive research and posting the results. And as a serious shopper for one of these I can't tell you how many times you've caused me to chase around EBay looking for the great deal you just posted about only to find that you reported the first bid, NOT the current bid. If you're gonna be the TD Waterhouse of Viper pricing at least wait till the auction is in it's last day if you want to report with any accuracy.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please don't mislead everyone by talking about the lowest you have ever seen at $48,100 but now it's at $54,900. If you found it at $48,000, why did you not buy it? There MUST be a reason you keep doing this extensive research and posting the results. And as a serious shopper for one of these I can't tell you how many times you've caused me to chase around EBay looking for the great deal you just posted about only to find that you reported the first bid, NOT the current bid. If you're gonna be the TD Waterhouse of Viper pricing at least wait till the auction is in it's last day if you want to report with any accuracy.

Get your facts straight first, then speak. This auction ended at $48,100 and now the buyer has listed the car for $54,900. Here is the link for your "doubt":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4593537045&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBUAA%3AUS%3A11

Now as for why I follow car prices, it is a hobby of mine. I follow trends of ALL the cars I would like to purchase in the future so this DOES NOT only include Vipers. I like knowing where the market is and where the depreciation levels are. Sorry for me knowing my stuff, but do not try to tell me that I do not know what I am talking about. Proof is in the link above. Now move on and pester someone else. :2tu:

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now as for why I follow car prices, it is a hobby of mine. I follow trends of ALL the cars I would like to purchase in the future so this DOES NOT only include Vipers. I like knowing where the market is and where the depreciation levels are. Sorry for me knowing my stuff, but do not try to tell me that I do not know what I am talking about. Proof is in the link above. Now move on and pester someone else. :2tu:

Good luck on your hobby..but I've found E-BAY and AUTOTRADER to be poor places to judge a market on cars. You'll find super low prices but many questions and no answers.
Remember that 02 RT/10 with 800 miles for only $38k!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eBay is not my only resource. You just have to look hard enough and you will find the deals. Problem is that no matter where you buy cars these days, they can have all sorts of stories. Carfax is not always correct and since most of these used cars come from auto auctions you just have to be careful.