Viper Magazine on the 2003 Viper

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Can you elaborate what parts of the car were not finalized?

Regarding the 500 #'s, I'd expect the TQ to be improved more than the HP. The TQ is already over 500 on these cars. Bear in mind that the Competition coupe is, what, 520? So I guess the Gen 3 won't beat the C.C. But it would be REALLY REALLY nice if they "plug the motor up" a little to get it to 500, such that putting an exhaust and airbox/filters gets it to the high side of 550 in HP an TQ. Dodge you listening?
smile.gif

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the Comp Coupe was at 525 HP ? This may be what they are quoting. I'd be surprised if the car looks very differant than what we have seen, there may be a few minor changes.
I have also read on this site that dodge hasn't maximized the exhaust and intake performance. So there should be 25 to 50
ponies left for the aftermarket guys and gals, right?

A 550-575 HP Snake with just the bolt ons I have on my ACR now would be awesome !

2charmed

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mako:

2. On the exterior: "As I said, we're still working on the car and I can't comment on what might be changed. "Let me just say that the final version will look different to what's been on display so far at the auto shows."

==========================================================

I wondered about that statement too. Perhaps there is a ray of hope...that they will improve the design. But, I have a feeling it won't be significant.

The coupe doesn't look any better than the convertible...with that big squared-off rear end and those straight lines. The rear end is worse than the Corvette's big square a**.

I love my GenII, but I've lost total interest in the new Vipers.
Going for a big block Ford Cobra next... instead.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met Ralph a few weeks back at an event and he told all those present that some changes are being worked on. Now what you have to keep in mind is if those changes are going to be noticeable to the eye. I know that at the unveiling, the engineers pointed out 7 parts of the car that were not yet final and still under development?

As for the motor, Dodge has always provided conservative numbers. Why boast more than 500 and ruin your government rating when you can just say 500? Just think of it as a present from a secret admirer.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike I wish I could say what they targeted for "re-design", but that would pretty much close down this site. I can say that I was surprised, because initially they showed us parts and places that quite frankly most would not even notice? But then again, that was almost a year ago? Now it sounds like they are evaluating more than "under lying" or "invisible" sections?

What I can tell you is that Ralph was one of the fastest Drivers on the executive Team, and he had the best burnout of the day!