Viper Race Roadster

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys!
You have never heard about the Viper RR? Neither have I! He, he!
This is the idea: You remember the race Cobras, Jag D-type, Race Jag XKE-12cyl, the Panoz, The le Mans winning Audis?
All are open cars, The first ones just a tonneau over the passenger seat and a windscreen the size of a ******, er I mean a handkerchief...
Anybody has tried to chop off a Viper??
I am playing with the idea on mine.
Here there are no restrictions to modifications as apart the super expensive GTSR there are none on the tracks.
I have the feeling to have seen a picture of a Viper with a headrest modification à la D-type/ Mercedes SL for both driver and passenger. Anybody knows where or if it exists?
Thank you for your opinion and give the neurons a good massage!
Anders
Switzerland

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hummm - I don't know how effective that would be as the Viper isn't a tube frame and the GTS gets a lot of it's stiffness from the roof, but I think that sounds like an interesting idea.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would use a RT because the rigidity is built throughout the car and does not depend on the top. Check out these pictures for some possible ideas.
85top_off2-med.jpg
85top_off1-med.jpg
85top_off-med.jpg

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I always liked the sportbar on the RT's but that car looks CLEAN and very nice w/out it. Great pics, thanks :) .

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you get those pictures? Looks kinda cool.... do you have any other pictures? Looks like the owner cut off the "hoop" of the sport cap and fiberglassed in the joint between the sport cap and the quarter panels.

Did the owner retain the trunk?

Lance

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anders,

I like the idea of an RT/10 Race Roadster. You could even keep the sport bar, rebuilding it to be a fairing for the rollbar (this keeps the RT look).

Whenever I get a crazy idea like this, I head to the Hobby store to buy a plastic model kit. I've done that for body mods and paint schemes. There's nothing like a scale model to give you a good idea of what you're in for.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you get those pictures? Looks kinda cool.... do you have any other pictures? Looks like the owner cut off the "hoop" of the sport cap and fiberglassed in the joint between the sport cap and the quarter panels.

Did the owner retain the trunk?

Lance
This was a car that was up for sale on Ebay. The car was in the Denver area. I emailed him a couple of times. Sounded like he bought the car with the sports bar removed, but it does look slick, just doesn't have any kind of top. Hate to get stuck in the rain with it! :crazy:

OP
OP
A

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the update, ideas and the pictures.
It looks great.
Now imagine it with a small perspex screen, a ductail à la GTS, a driver headrest flaring
and the passenger seat covered.
It would be a wild ride and Cx factor low.
Of course the Cx would be even lower if the head of the driver would be removed but maybe I am getting too enthusiastic...
Have fun,
Anders