Viper Red Paint (Viper Tax??)

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One quart of Chromabase Viper Red paint (paint code PRN). $125.56. Does this sound right?? :confused:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A guy at work has a Chevy 1500 truck. Not sure of the year, but its a mid-late 90's model. Its the same exact red as my Viper (PRN). I'm thinking $125.56/quart is a ripoff for paint that also comes on a basic Chevy pickup

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds about right for chromabase.
Any color that uses red pigment is going to be expensive.
I would say a gallon is around $400. The smaller the quantity, the higher price per oz.

What are you trying to paint?

The HVLP guns can really stretch out product. Also chromabase uses less binders(read fillers/clear) than other brands. This will lead to less coats for good coverage.

R

RTED

Red color paint has always been high in price. I recently priced a quart of Viper Red from the local Painter Supply. The cost was about $150 for the quart. Not sure how true it is, but years ago, a paint supply house said it was because red paint has a percentage of gold in the pigment.....Mmmmmmmmm??

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check with a Paint and Body shop that mixes their own paint. I believe you will find it cheaper. PRN is the DC code for Red, had my front facia repainted at local body shop and they mixed paint using a different commerical paint code. Looks identical to me and cheaper.

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm painting the three piece citymaker top I just recently got. I thought I would upgrade to an HVLP from my tried and true 25 year old Fitz siphon feed gun and that proved to be an expensive mistake. HVLP's takes a whole different technique than the old time guns and I basically screwed up the paint on the panels the first time around. Major orange peel, fish eye, bulls' butt and whatever else you can think of so I had to start all over. I was also using some left over Dupont Nason that I had from painting some show stands with which may of contributed the issues. Anyways, I'm almost 400 bucks into trying to paint this damn thing (cost of paint, materials, and piece of $hitte HVLP gun the guy at O'Reillys talked me into) :curse: . I would have been better off to have bought the already painted option from Citymakers. :rolleyes:
Oh well, second time's a charm but I'm going back to my 'ol Fitz.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$125.00 is exactly what I pay for a quart of RED chromabase. Red is the real problem, I pay nearly half for black.

Cayman,

Sorry to hear your having trouble painting your top. Let me know how I might be able to help.

Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950