Viper Run in Jasper, Alberta

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

some beautiful scenery in the Rocky Mountains. Left GTS is #295 FE, then 2005 SRT10 and on the right is my 2000 GTS ACR (Paxton superhcharged/Nitrous -
ACR, Paxton supercharged NOS = 802rwhp - ViperClub Classifieds

We met a few VCA members in Leduc, from Red Deer, that drove 1 1/2 hours so that they could have dinner with us before we left for Jasper. Ron Nichols said, "Any excuse to drive our Vipers."

We drove to Edson and met up with another ex-vette owner. He came out to the Tim Hortons to meet with us when we stopped for coffee! 2009 Very Viper Orange Aero Coupe. He planned to meet up with us in Jasper, but he had other obligations.

The scenery is spectacular. The ice at the base of the glacier (where the monster Buses go to) has Ice thicker than the height of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Over the hill is much Deeper. Sorry Al Gore, but we have thick frozen ice glaciers here in southern Canada - no need to go to the Artic ...

The response to our 3 Red Vipers was more intense than when we went to VOI X. Totally weird as when we parked out cars downtown Jasper and sat in the Bistro we spent 4 hours watching the show our Vipers caused. Seems that Oriental men aren't too thrilled by Vipers ... but we had at least a half dozen Oriental women posing and taking pics of our cars. A Spanish guy (no English) chase us through a parking lot to take more pics of our cars. 3 swiss guys (mid 20s) spent 3 hours staring at our cars downtown. We all had a blast and even though most cancelled out, it was actually easier to adust plans, find parking and tables at restaurants. The Bistro stayed open an extra hour for us and she said she enjoyed the show caused by our cars as much as us. One guy ran over to me at the gas station and asked if I'd let him wash my car if he paid me $5.

I figured that God made it rain on Sat morning so that Marcel could wash the ugly yellow spots off of his white stripes which used to be Alberta Crickets ...

We stopped on the side of the highway to view the huge semi-precious boulders. We visited the "Magic Lake" which drains itself every summer and got within 4' of Black Bears, Deer, Elk, Vultures, Marmots, etc.

Ted

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have some of the most spectacular scenery I have seen. I have toured there in the past and really enjoyed it. I think touring in my Viper would be a great drive and one of these days I will try to get out there on vacation.

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should make the trip Richard. As Ron Nichols said when he offered to drive the hour and a half to Leduc, "Any excuse to drive a Viper is a good one!"

Here's a shot of us at Magic Lake, on Sunday before starting home. One of the women that asked for permission to take shots of our cars (she had an Pro camera) took the camera and shot us, lol ...

I mounted my canon DSLR on Trev's tripod, set "Timer" and ran across the highway as fast as I could, then I took my spot on the right. Trev and Terri on left and Marcel and Donna in the middle. Behind our cars you can see all the empty lake shore as the Lake is near dry. Glaciers aren't melting very fast as the lake doesn't usually empty until October.

Not understanding underground rivers the Native population found this lake to be Big Magic.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We had a touch of rain and it was excellent as it washed the bugs, but upon returning to Jasper we hit the carwash before town. Trevor got reservations for us and since he was last we all pitched in getting his car spiffied up :)

Along the way to Edmonton we stopped as the sunset showed some color. There was a wide river between the highway and the Mountain. The eastern side of the highway was sandflats so I climbed a Dune and shoot a couple pics.

Driving East I stopped for gas and a gentleman walked over to me and asked, "Would you let me wash your car if I gave you $5.00?" I laughed and told him to make it $20 because I was in a hurry. :) :)

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This pic speaks for itself ... After long testing we/I have decided that the Passport 9500i is an excellent detector as it receives dozens of safety messages such as "Ambulance, Fire Truck, Road caution, etc". It also receives all other radar signals and has GPS downloadinbg capabilities for installing speed camera locations into the unit. My wife Deana seems to be developing a gift for photography as she takes most of our shots since I'm driving.

Another weird 'coincidence' is this Harley rider and his daughter showing up in Jasper. He stayed in my Nimpo Lake Motel several years ago (before it burned down) and recognized my car from the previous weekend's Williams Lake Car Show. 700 miles away he stopped at this rest area to say, "Hi!"

The world seems a small place. :)

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think Crompton is right and this Bus is for show. Looked like there was 2 or 3 driving on the glacier though.

Front street in Jasper. Large Steam Locomotive and tender across street. 5 Elk grazing as we drove into town first time.

We had a blast. At Maligne Lake after lunch we went back to our cars to start homeward and I took a few pics of these Deer. Not quite close enough to our Vipers so I thought, "Hey, I bet I can ride one over near the cars and then get a pic." But, shoot the pic or ride the Deer? Decided that Marcel was between the Deer and the cars so if I was riding one, he'd probably go the wrong way ... I didn't even grab one.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some great pictures I don't even know which one I would say I like the best . The ones when your driving down the road with the mountains in the back all snow covered are spectaculor .

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Found a shady spot for a *** and when the traffic showed up I climbed into the trees up the bank. Great place for a picture...

Thanks for the compliments guys. The wife is becoming adept with a camera in her hand now too.

TNT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted,
Thanks for all your great pics of this trip. I am hoping that everyone see's them and comes out next year. Not only is the scenery some of the most spectacular in the world but the food at Andy's Bistro in Jasper is probably some of the best in Canada. They stayed open an hour late just to accommodate our group and the food and wine was amazing.
I have not been on a Viper run yet that attracted even close to as much attention for our cars. Simply unbelievable the number of people that know and appreciate the Viper. Maybe its the fact that it is kicking many other super cars behinds at a fraction of the price or maybe just that the Viper is so incredibly HOT, at any rate it fits right in in Jasper National Park.

Trevor and Terri

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All excellent points Trevor. Gassing up at the Jasper Esso one morning a 34 year old 'Dad' drove up in his Minivan and commented on my car. I suggested that he buy it since I've got it for sale. He made a comment about only being about to afford a Mazda, so I said that if he could afford a new Mazda minivan, he could afford a Viper. He said he thought my car was, "easily worth $150,000." When I explained that I was selling a highly modified Viper for $56K, he said he was going home to tell his wife he was buying a Viper!

Here's a pic of what we drove through when we started our way to the Rockies ...

Good thing we only had to look at that for a short while. I understand that the weather in Edmonton was terrible that weekend? Better in Jasper, lol.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted , nice pictures:2tu:. Done a few trips between Edmonton and Vanvouver myself.Jasper is very nice. Did you go up the mountain by airtram ? Also a must see/stop is south of Jasper on the right side of the highway is Athabasca Falls with cascading waterfalls that carved some intricate walkways in the rocks over thousands of years.Here're some shots from Alberta for our southern neighbours,
in case they're itchy to take a train route in the Rockies.

Lake Louise

This is around Canmore

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice pictures Ted and am glad the trip worked out well. Weather in Edmonton was ridiculous to say the least.

Rob

I heard that we must have taken the good weather with us when we left Leduc. Rain was just enough so that when we stopped at a rest area we easily used microfiber clothes and wiped off the bug residue - in the sunshine.

You could show up next time Ron? We're having another Kelowna event (Winery tours and AutoX) next month. PM me for details. They are listed in the Wstrn Cda regional forums. Father's Day car show next weekend in Mission. 1200 cars and extremely few trophies as it's a Charity event for Children's Hospital, etc.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss