viper won't start

vogue 2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
viper won\'t start

I've got a problem... my 01 gts won't start.. The starter won't turn engine over.. here's what I've checked so far.. pulled relay and jumped starter.. it works ... no voltage coming to coil on relay.. checked fuses.. ok.. I have continuity on clutch position switch when I push clutch in but no voltage to sw when key is in start ... reset the alarm twice... disconnected battery cable under hood to reset computer.. all to no avail.. It seems like the ignition switch is bad..There's voltage to the ignition sw because the idot lite's, radio and gauges work.. What I haven't done yet is located the start wire in the harness comming from the steering column and looked for voltage.. Is there something else in between the ignition switch and the clutch position sw. that I'm missing.. I have a service manual and it say's no.. have there been any problems with these ignition switches..

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: viper won\'t start

Does the starter attempt to move at all or no?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bad battery? A short might make it llok like it's fully charged, but when load is placed on it, it fails.

OP
OP
V

vogue 2

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes the starter runs and engine turns over like normal.. when I jump it at the relay... as for the battery.. 6 mo old optima red top.... when I turn the key to start the lights don't dim.. Thanks for the thoughts..

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you cut the posts on the optima it could be in bad shape. A battery can cause all sorts of hell on a Viper, even when the battery "seems" to be ok. It's the first thing I'd consider replacing (or at least swap it for something just to test).

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you jump the starter relay while the key is in the run position will the car start?How many miles are on the car?Does the key feel any different when turning it?I have seen the ignition key cylinder break inside if the switch.It will give no warning.It will allow the car to power up but it will not let the switch turn far enough to start the car.It is not hard to pull apart to check with the right tools.If you need more info or help call me.910-228-8477

Tom

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is there a fuse that can affect the start position?

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score

there is a 5amp fuse in the fuse block under the dash.There is also a 40 amp fuse in the power distribution center under the hood.With the key on and the relay out you should have 12 volts on pin 87 where the relay plugs in with the clutch pressed and the key in the start position you should have 12 volts on pin 81.Pin 83 should go to ground and pin 79 goes to the starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine