Vipers and the LeMans

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering what the major differences are that keeps the Vipers from winning when they are racing. I know that they are not factory sponsored anymore, but didn't the Oreca team give them any of there research and development that they seem to have perfected. So is it the lack of money from Chrysler or are the drivers less experienced or is it the not sharing of the winning secret or possibly the vettes have just gotten that much better. Do the private teams have similar cars to what Oreca had? There are a lot of possible senarios, but it seems that they should be able to at least compete with the Vettes since they recently dominated them. Inquiring minds want to know.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am assuming you are referring to the ALMS and just Le Mans in particular. The reasons you have all specified contribute in some way to how the Vipers are faring this year. The Oreca GTSRs are pretty well developed but funding is still essential for parts and more R&D for tuning the car for the specific driver or track. Here is an example of what happened at Sears Point. There was an accident that destroyed the front fascia of the 44 Viperracing Viper. There was no spare available until Sunday. That prevented the drivers from practicing all of Saturday. It might not have resulted in a podium finish but you see the point. The privateers probably have Oreca notes from running last year at Sears and probably the same car but their tires are not even Michelins because of some sponsorship limitations and we know that the rubber makes a huge difference. They just signed up driver Shane Lewis but only for 2 races probably because of lack of funds. The Corvettes have definitely gotten better since they have to because of the Saleens. I can cite examples from every point you have asked about. The thing to remember is the valiant effort of Viperracing to even field a team ( with Team Viper engineering support ) against the goliaths of GTS (GM and Saleen). I applaud the fact that I can see a Viper that is the closest to an actual street car race with the Vettes and Saleens that are nothing similar to what you can buy at the dealer. I hope all the Viper owners support Viperracing team.

OP
OP
G

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definately support the Viper Racing team, but just wanted some insight on what others thought and how we might help.

Maybe some of the proceeds from the raffle would help. What better way to get members of the VCA enthralled once again about the potential of there cars.

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. $$ for Drivers
2. $$ for engineers / spares / setup time
3. Cost to run ALMS to win approx. $2M / car. Raffle proceeds not even a drop in the bucket.

The best way to make a small fortune racing is to start with a large one ...

Reaction score
Consider that ORECA worked hard for every win in 2000. The 2001 Vette's are faster, and they continue to work on getting even faster. It takes $$$ and more $$$. I recall one race last year after qualification Beretta felt his motor was not as strong as it should be, he asked for a new motor, he got a new motor. He also won! American Viperacing has my support and respect. It takes a lot of $$$$$ and B...'s to fund 2 GTSR's. Please attend the ALMS's races and let them know how much you love to watch their Vipers race. If you have an extra million to support Viper racing give them a call.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There is a nice write-up on the Vipers and one of their pilots at: www.americanlemans.com. Check it out.

Fred is right, these guys are busting their butts for the cause and all forms of positive support would be helpful.

Vipergtsbob

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I just got back from the Sears Point ALMS race. I am very pleased to see the expression of support in the above posts for the valient efforts being made by American Viper Racing (AVR). I have come to personally know team owner/driver Tom Wiekert and team manager Eric Burch, and several of the drivers and techs. They are breaking their asses to compete against the factory sponsered teams in Vipers. I have seen firsthand the sweat and effort these men put in to prove the Viper's superiority. Let me also add a few $$$$ to what has already been identified as what is needed to achieve and maintain a championship team.
The passion shown by AVR is not enough. They will, nonetheless continue their efforts. Any support would be much appreciated by the team I am sure.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize that Viperracing is attempting to battle with the GTS factory teams, but I honestly think, that without a factory team running the Vipers again, we won't be seeing any won races soon. As it stands right now, the other teams are just too much faster and better funded for Viperracing to compete. It seems as though the only way we will see a Viper on the podium again is if one of the factory Corvettes or Saleen's is completely totalled, or if we have ORECA racing Vipers again with factory support.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saleen also deserves a hand. He's a privateer as well. Where is his funding coming from? I don't think he gets much factory support either. Anyway, I look forward to having Oreca back in the GTS class next year.

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>NASCAR racing is getting the most funding and much of that comes from the Dodge dealers association.
... ... ...
I have attended one NASCAR race, that was this year at Sears point. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BOOOOOOOO! Big thumbs down. I dont see how anyone can enjoy a pile of family sedans running around in circles is appealing. ;) Its a good thing you didnt enjoy it. I would have had to assign you a Redneck ID number.
dead.gif

It is unfortunate though... the juggernaut that is NAStyCAR makes more money than any other form of racing in the US. The only way to fix this is to show interest in other forms of racing. Go to events and buy tickets.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watch NASCAR because it is racing. And that is IT. There is nothing like the excitement of ALMS, etc., where various classes are mixed. The 24 hour races are fantastic.

Reaction score
Sorry Rick, ORECA is not coming back next year in a GTS. Chrysler has the GTS project on hold. This year the GTSR was to be developed by ORECA and raced next year. ORECA is not doing no work on the nex gen. GTSR. Chrysler is not supporting ORECA racing the LMP at Portland or Laguna Seca this year. The LMP came in 4th at Le Mans behind the Three cars powered by Audi. Based on what seems to be minimal DC support, ORECA has again done an outstanding job with the LMP program. NASCAR racing is getting the most funding and much of that comes from the Dodge dealers association.

Team Viper (the guy's who build our cars) are race enthusiast and they are doing their best to support AVR. I feel we should show our support (attending races, letting them know that enjoy watching them race, send $$$ if you are so moved, etc. ) for AVR. Would you rather watch 1 of 10 Dodge's come in 14th at NASCAR or watch a Viper come in 4th in its class? I have attended one NASCAR race, that was this year at Sears point. Sorry but NASCAR is pretty boring to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery