Vipers vs ZO6 General Concerns

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Howdy!

Of course this is all aftermarket, no warranty, take-your-chances type performance (just like bolting a Paxton up to a Viper) -

Not true! If you buy your Viper from Woodhouse, have them put the Paxton on, they will honor the factory warranty. I called them - this is what they told me.

Try that with your 11:1 uber-Vette!

DT04R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy!

Well, they're providing a warranty - but I would assume they're not re-imbursed by DC (er, not through the conventional channels at least), I would catorgorize that as an aftermarket warranty, not unlike LPE or Callaway provides, or maybe more along the lines of a factory-tuner relationship like Saleen.

And that's a single dealer - though it's very cool that they offer something along those lines - but it's hardly a factory based warranty. Certainly any dealer that wanted to offer a warranty on aftermarket parts could, if the business case made sense.

FWIW, it's not *my* Über vette (Heheh, look I used an umlaut!) :) Just trying to have some objective perspective on the vehicle. Hell, I'm just glad that there's so many choices for enthusiasts now, and even happier so many from American manufacturers! :2tu:

Howdy!

Of course this is all aftermarket, no warranty, take-your-chances type performance (just like bolting a Paxton up to a Viper) -

Not true! If you buy your Viper from Woodhouse, have them put the Paxton on, they will honor the factory warranty. I called them - this is what they told me.

Try that with your 11:1 uber-Vette!

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked if there ever would be a Hemi Head for the V10 Viper. It was almost like I said something I should not have. There were a few smiles and no definite answer.

Probably because they are quietly in talks with Lotus to help them develop a 600hp hemi V-10 with displacement-on-demand for the next generation Viper. That said, I think the Viper program, as evidenced by several of the comments on this thread, has lost sight of what it takes to win this game. Success in this business is not predicated on sheer horsepower numbers. If that was the case then Toyota's Supra, Mazda's RX-7 and Nissan's 300ZX Turbo would have survived and the Boxster, SLK and Z3/Z4 would not have. Viper sales would also be through the roof. There is much more to a performance car than sheer horsepower and, like it or not, the Viper's sales numbers reflect same. The recent plant shutdown when the supply of unsold cars hit 200 days is only the first worrisome sign. What concerns me now as I review the week-to-week 2005 sales numbers is how far off the pace they are from where they were last year.

If the Firepower (or whatever they choose to name it since someone else owns the name for automotive applications) does not get the go-ahead for production then I do not see what else can bring the production line up to required volumes to support the increasing labor costs at CAAP. DCX can only tolerate these losses for so long. One more 9/11 type attack here and, in its current vulnerable state of production, that is all it will take to push the program over the edge for good. The time to make some hard but intelligent choices is now. The car's very survival depends on it.

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all about keeping the steam in the engine, as long as DC really believes in the car, they can do ALOT with it. We the "public" have absolutely NO idea of the amount of technology and different designs they keep from us. When I was in my auto tech class in HS we had a ford tech come and visit he was classified in the top 200 in the whole US. One of the things he mentioned was when he went to Detroit auto show, only people at his level were allowed into this special room where they showed new stuff. This including an engine that had NO cam shafts, but electronically controlled and had adjustable power on tap up to 700, or you could shut half the engine off to save gas as well. So my point with this story is they COULD make the Viper blow the living doors off any super car and still be emmisions legal... EASY! trust me.
I just hope to God they actually do it, as well as the styling. I bet you could put an SRT next to the 06 Vette and the average person could hardly tell the difference. :(

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Chevy will upgrade the cooling setup in these new Z06's. The many guys I know who run Z06's on road courses have had to add engine oil coolers and tranny coolers. Engine oil in these cars gets HOT.

I look forward to the new Chevy. It'll keep the SRT folks working hard.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
--- I bet you could put an SRT next to the 06 Vette and the average person could hardly tell the difference. :(

That stolen design by GM was calculated to bury the Viper, as the Viper has now lost it's distinctive and readily recognizable looks on the road. Take the looks AND performance, and there is not much else.

GM is good at that borrowing thing, but's that about all ("about" used because the C06 chassis seems to "break the rule"). A few examples of borrowing from DC:

Hummber front end and Jeep.
C06 front end (and other facets) and Viper.
SSR abortion and PT Cruiser.
Recent "break the rules" add and Dodge's old "the rules have changed".
Magic Carpet Ride music in GM commercials and old Viper Magic Carpet Ride commercial.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Chevy will upgrade the cooling setup in these new Z06's. The many guys I know who run Z06's on road courses have had to add engine oil coolers and tranny coolers. Engine oil in these cars gets HOT.

Has DC fixed the cooling issues w/ the SRT10 in track use? I know several here compalined of overheating at the track. One member sold his car to purchase a GTS because of the SRT10's cooling issues :confused:

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran my '04 the last three days at VIR and had no cooling issues. 12 track sessions total. Weather was hot, and extremely humid.

Car remains 100% stock. It impressed me. Especially the brakes.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Has DC fixed the cooling issues w/ the SRT10 in track use? I know several here compalined of overheating at the track. One member sold his car to purchase a GTS because of the SRT10's cooling issues :confused:

My SRT10 has never had cooling issues at the track. I've not heard of any Gen III Vipers with track day cooling issues. One of the things I love about the car. I can take it to the track and beat on it hard, and it never overheats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang