VOI 10 - driving from Md - share accomodations ?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Zoomie,
When are you going up? Dan and I are going up on the 26th, and I'm hoping that a caravan forms for travel that day.

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly,

I was looking at the schedule and I was thinking I'd drive up on the 27th as there doesn't seem to be any events scheduled until that night....am I missing something? I was puzzeled why they were indicating that it was starting on the 26th.

I'm also leaning towards trailering as my father-in-law will be going, but looking at the fact that these are downtown city hotels, I'm wondering if it will be viable to park a truck and trailer-anybody know?

Thanks! Jim

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jim,
Not sure about trailer parking, but regarding schedule, there is a bunch of stuff available on the 27th. Here is the schedule that I just pulled from the site. It says subject to change (and it has changed since I last looked at it), so I'd check back frequently for updates:

THIS TENTATIVE SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 (Pre-Day)

Upon Arrival (2 Host Hotels) Hotel Registration - Motor City Hotel and MGM Hotel (depending on where you are staying)

4:00 - 9:00p.m. - Early-Bird Event Registration - Motor City Hotel only (Shuttle service will be provided between Motor City Hotel and MGM Hotel)
4:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. -
Early-Bird Event Registration at the Motor City Hotel.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Upon Arrival
- Hotel Registration – Motor City Hotel or MGM Hotel

7:00a.m. - Noon
- Conner Plant Tours (select groups only)
8:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.
- Event Registration - Motor City Hotel only (Shuttle service will be provided between Motor City Hotel and MGM Hotel)
Noon - 5:00p.m. - Memorabilia Display (Motor City Garage)
7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. - Welcome Reception and Dinner at the Motor City Hotel -Guest Speakers
9:00p.m. - 11:00p.m. - Memorabilia Display (Motor City Garage)

Thursday, August 28, 2008.
The group will be divided into two even groups. Group A, Follow This Schedule on Thursday/Group B, Follow This Schedule on Friday.
Note: Chelsea Proving Grounds is the place where the Viper has been tested and evaluated by the SRT Team!

6:00 a.m.- 6:30 a.m. -
Group Departs for Driving Venue
6:30 a.m.- 7:30 a.m.
- Continental Breakfast at Driving Venues
6:30 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.
- Shuttle Service between Driving Venues and 2 Host Hotels
7:00 a.m. Sharp
Panoramic Photo at Driving Venues
7:30 a.m.- 11:30 a.m.
- Driving Activities at Chelsea Proving Grounds
Driving Activities may include:
– Viper handling course
– Viper Autocross
– Milan Dragway
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 a.m. - Lunch
12:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Driving Activities Continue
3:00 p.m.
- Driving Activites End
7:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m. - Cruise and Dinner on the Detroit Princess River Boat (For both Groups A and B)
9:00 p.m.- 11:00 p.m.
- Memorabilia Display (Motor City Garage)

Friday, August 29, 2008
- The group will be provided into two event groups.
Group A, Follow This Schedule on Friday/Group B, Follow This Schedule on Thursday.

7:00 a.m.- 9:00 a.m.
- Buffet Breakfast at both Host Hotels (Motor City and MGM Hotel)
:00 a.m. - Leave from respective Host Hotels to Plant Tours Groups A and B will be broken down into smaller groups for tours, time rotation will be determine depending on the size of the group.

Tour Possibilities:
Group A1 - Conner Ave Plant
Group A2 - Saleen Plant
Group A3 - Chrysler Museum Tour

7:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m.
- Dinner on Belle Isle at Trackside Chalet (For both Groups A and B)

Saturday, August 30, 2008 - RACE DAY!

Note: All attendees driving their Vipers will have special Viper-only parking in the Viper Corral on the island both race days.

8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. -
Breakfast on Belle Isle
Noon - 5:00 p.m
- Race on Belle Isle
- ALMS Race
- Trackside Chalet with closed circuit TV
- Food and Beverage
- Pit Passes/Grandstand Seating
- Viper Parade Lap

7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- VCA Reception and Dinner at the Motor City Hotel
- Guest Speakers
- Awards

Sunday, August 31, 2008 - RACE DAY!

8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. - Breakfast on Belle Isle All Day
Race on Belle Isle
- IRL Race
- Trackside Chalet with closed circuit TV
- Food and Beverage
- Pit Passes/Grandstand Seating
- Viper Parade Lap
6:00 p.m.
Race ends
Event Ends Evening on your own!

Last edited:

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly, Thanks for posting that schedule as it has definately changed since I looked at it before! Any idea what it means by select groups with reference to the plant tours?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly, Thanks for posting that schedule as it has definately changed since I looked at it before! Any idea what it means by select groups with reference to the plant tours?

I have no idea. I was wondering about that myself, but didn't think to ask....

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'll be on 80 for ~150 miles, according to MapQuest. Would be awesome to "grow" the group as we go.

we have several from NY that are driving and a few incl tator who is trailering. would be great to meet your group on 80w somewhere at some point..

actually just checked and if you guys are coming from VA/MD area, and taking 76 w to 79N you wont get on 80w till you arrive into Ohio. once you get into ohio turnpike there is a major rest stop there (think exit 22X) which would take up about 6.5 hours to get to from NYC. so thats a possible meeting spot.

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we have several from NY that are driving and a few incl tator who is trailering. would be great to meet your group on 80w somewhere at some point..

actually just checked and if you guys are coming from VA/MD area, and taking 76 w to 79N you wont get on 80w till you arrive into Ohio. once you get into ohio turnpike there is a major rest stop there (think exit 22X) which would take up about 6.5 hours to get to from NYC. so thats a possible meeting spot.

Looking at the map, it would be best for us to stay on 76 all the way to 80. 79 heads almost straight north in PA, whereas 76 continues northwest into Ohio and meets up with 80 just west of Meander Creek Reservoir, a much more direct route. The 76/80 junction is exit 218, so we'd have to go east on 80 a couple of miles (like 5-ish) to get to Exit 223 where the big rest-stop is, but that would be a perfect spot since you're right, it's looks huge.

Do you know when you're leaving?

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
were thinking about 6-7am depart from NYC area...this would put us at 1pm at the first rest stop on the ohio turnpike. then detroit is about 150 miles from there or 3 hours

OP
OP
zoomie

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey all.. Kelly.. ACR Jim.. Dimitrios,
Yes, planning on driving.. was thinking the 27th, but the 26th sounds good also, esp. if hooking up with others on I-80. also curious about the 'select groups' and plant tours.. Valentine is great. Also have 22 channel radios for convoy comm.

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, after Kelly posted the updated schedule, I now plan to leave on the 26th and have booked a room at the MGM for 5 nights. I'm hoping that after being at the races all day Sunday I will have enough energy to drive back.

I attended the VOI in Nashville, we had a big group that consisted of VA/MD as well as others from the Northeast and Canada that connected with us in Staunton, VA. It was a fun drive, but you don't stay together the whole time when some are trailering (think we only had one or two) and out of the rest some don't seem to be as concerned with tickets as others-so the FRS/GMRS 2-way radios were great as you can stay in touch and know what's ahead easily as well as discussing stops for food or fuel.

One suggestion-Greg you mentioned looking for a roomie-they've already sold out of everything but King rooms, so if you don't have a room yet...that may make finding someone to share with harder!

I'm looking forward to it! :drive:

Jim

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I contacted the VOI organizers about the 'select groups' reference for the plant tour on Wednesday morning....They're looking at hotel registrations for Tuesday night to make that list, so I gather that if you're staying at one of the hotels Tuesday night under the VCA Group rate, you're on the list. If you booked a room without using the VCA group codes like some of us did, you'll need to shoot an email to [email protected] to let them know you'll be there, otherwise you'll get left out.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL....last time I drove with you, you told me to speed up...remember?!?! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Arrghhhh...I do remember. I asked you to speed up about 1 minute before a cop picked off a car in the middle of our caravan. No one ever said I had good timing.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll be driving up 95 and meeting people in NC on the 25th.

I would like to join up with a few Vipers along the way.

Just let me know where and when.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're not leaving VA until the 26th, since activities don't start in Detroit until the 27th. Will you be stopping overnight along the way, or pushing all the way to Detroit on the 25th?

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly,

Has anyone put some thought into the drive to include primarily what the departure time from the DC area is targeted on the 26th? I would think that a location along 270 would be an ideal starting point for most of the DC area and those coming from the South I95 corridor.

I will be in a similar position to triplexotica in that I'll be towing-so my speed will likely be below many in the caravan. triplexotica, if you are coming from the Raliegh, NC area, you'd be looking at about a 4.5-5 hour drive to the area that I'm referring to. I live just off of 95 about 10 miles South of where 95 intersects with the DC beltway.

Jim

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly,

Has anyone put some thought into the drive to include primarily what the departure time from the DC area is targeted on the 26th? I would think that a location along 270 would be an ideal starting point for most of the DC area and those coming from the South I95 corridor.

I will be in a similar position to triplexotica in that I'll be towing-so my speed will likely be below many in the caravan. triplexotica, if you are coming from the Raliegh, NC area, you'd be looking at about a 4.5-5 hour drive to the area that I'm referring to. I live just off of 95 about 10 miles South of where 95 intersects with the DC beltway.

Jim

Hey Jim,
Absolutely. See this thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/virgini...l-voi-10-caravan-thread-tuesday-aug-26th.html

The departure point mentioned (if you've not done the Western, MD cruise before) is just a few minutes east of Frederick MD on I-70. It's a great starting point since most people know it, and it's very basically right in the path of folks leaving the Baltimore area and people coming from points south.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, the beauty of our distance from Detroit (right at 500 miles from the start point) is that if we can manage just a 50 MPH average speed, we're in Detroit around 6 PM. We don't have to abandon you guys w/ trailers to arrive at a reasonable hour, assuming you can cruise around 70. Is that doable, or is that too fast?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang