VOI 12: the trip of a lifetime part 2

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where to begin with typing the first words...

After attending my first VOI 2 years ago it was a no questions asked no-brainer that I would be attending VOI's for the rest of my life, period. So when VOI 12 was announced it was time to start the suffering again and basically put everything on hold, that is how deep my passion goes and how much I love not only this car but also the people because I still get emotional when talking to people about the things that happened 2 years ago during VOI 11, they made it that soul touching and moving. Can you tell that someone is stoked when they have trouble sleeping the weekend before actually packing the suitcase and going to the airport way early in the morning??

This post is basically going to be a cliff's note version now that everything is still somewhat fresh because I plan on writing a much larger story for Viper Magazine but for now I hope you will enjoy my typings here.

My previous VCA group the NY/CT chapter did not have a spot for me this time so that meant I would get "orphaned". One of the forum regulars that seemed like he would be great to hang out with was VYPR BYT 94 so when it became apparent that an other solution would be needed I sent him a PM and asked if he would be ok with taking me on board. Long story and the required paperwork later it was time to get on the plane towards the airport located about 5 minutes from his house. Detroit Metro airport appeared to be on the weekend shift because the transfer flight almost left without me due to a shortage of open customs stalls and the luggage people taking a bit long to go through my stuff.

The first day was spent driving around in the area in VYPR BYT 94's Buick getting some things that made more sense to buy directly in the US. Feeling that just 2 memory cards for the picture camera and 1 for the video camera were not going to be enough I bought a bunch more only to not use them as my cellphone did an unexpectedly good job of everything. A cassette tape to phone adapter was bought to have some good music on the drive there as well as a prepaid cellphone because for some unknown reason my European thingamabob did not want to get connected to any US provider, and after horsing around for some distance with only a set of written directions (hey it's fun to get rid of all the modern comfort stuff sometimes!) I bought a CB radio set at a Radioshack store that seemed like it would do the job. Couldn't find a way to get the antenna outside of the Viper in a safe way on time so that will now be used for next VOI instead.

Tuesday was a day of just relaxing, putting a charge on all batteries and finding a way to cram the trunk of the poor RT/10 to MAX capacity.. we still ended up taking some stuff in the passenger footwell. Fearing that the rain which was forecasted for the next morning would make the OEM window/3 piece top combination leak like crazy we came up with a sweet little DIY weatherstripping project that involved cutting a rubber garage door seal to size and literally stick it to the window with black duct tape (looked completely OEM and wind tunnel designed), will post a small how-to if allowed to do so.

Wednesday came around, we left the house way early at around 5 headed for Columbus where the starting point of the Grand Caravan was located as well as most of the Ohio chapter, a guy from Washington by the name of C-NOTE and that yellow lovin' Canadian who goes by Mopar Boy on here.
We kept the moment brief as the journey ahead was quite long and some guys had us stop at a number of points because their physical oil pressure check valve and/or fuel filter pressure sensor threw a code, these were cleared by a visit to the restroom. I managed to get a CB watch from Kevan at the last gas stop and these guys start doing a whole routine of Super Troopers quotes that was quite funny :rolaugh: A flat out hilarious contraption came by in the other direction, picture a yellow Pontiac Fiero chopped in half with the front end of a motorbike attached to the rear half of the Fiero... my God the creations some people make :omg:

Had a bunch of people tag along during the cruise, we saw one guy being pulled over for speeding the moment we passed a police car but after talking with him during another code clearing stop at a rest area it appears that the officer just wanted to give us all a warning and made him promise to contact the department (if you read this and want to correct me on any errors feel free to do so). The remainder of the trip was relatively uneventful except for VYPR BYT 94's Viper almost flat spotting the tires from locking the brakes up when we encountered a very sudden traffic jam.

Checked into the room at the Wingate and went to wash a VERY dirty Viper. Did I mention that our added weatherstripping project worked PERFECTLY in moderately heavy rain because there was only an extremely minimal drizzle that did not start appearing until the rain shower was almost over?? I have pictures of the "installation" and the resulting dirt streaks over the top look awesome. VYPR BYT 94 and I had not fully started our washing activities when Terry Bosserman announced that he discovered something in the back corner of the Embassy parking lot, the something being a number of gen 5's. Having trouble believing that SRT would do such a thing I took a careful peek and instantly got blasted to a group of clouds WAY above number 9 because... there they were.
I felt all kinds of things opening up that are impossible to put into words walking up to a yellow SRT, the Pebble Beach launch edition, a second launch edition and a Stryker Red GTS with track pack wheels and tan interior... there was 4 sets of pure, hot, unfiltered love and passion. Will post a bunch of pictures later after finishing this there are some really nice ones due to the sunset lighting. Got the Viper washed in the end except the wheels because it was getting dark, went inside to get registered and pick up the goody bagsand called it an early night.

End of part 1, subject to change later on when more stuff starts falling back in.

OP
OP
I

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I mention these were all taken by a Samsung Galaxy S3 cellphone that just will not get a text message to a U.S. number and vice versa, but delivers beautiful pictorial results sometimes? Even the video that was taken feels like good quality material despite the bad vibrations from the bad roadside conditions and the stiff gen 1 suspension.

OP
OP
I

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likewise Steve will hopefully catch you again at VOI 13 unless someone decides to skip the number and go to 14 :)

OP
OP
I

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I deleted a bunch again. The troubles of being just a humble enthusiast :smirk:...

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gawd why does it have to be so difficult remembering what one did to subsequently put it into words?? I can write a big and extensive restoration report and one-day meeting reports but because there is much more activity to report for VOI somehow it takes longer to garble everything back up from memory lane.

OP
OP
I

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600-something and that still leaves out the video! Nothing like the amount that Ron took though he's into the 3 numbers :omg:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4