Want feedback on the 2001 ACR

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

I have had three Viper GTS's starting with a 97 Blue/White. I sold that and got an 00 Red/Silver. I noticed the fit and finish of the 00 was much better than the 97 even though the quality of the leather and vinyl had not improved any. The drivability of the 00 was better than the 97. When I heard they were bringing back a Blue color I decided to sell the Red GTS and I ordered a Sapphire ACR. I realy didn't need the ACR package as I don't drive my Vipers much. I don't have a great comparison with the ABS vs Non ABS but it's nice to have. The components of the ACR
seem to be finished much better under the car, such as the suspension and wheels. Overall the car is the same as the GTS
so if you got a GTS and added the suspension components, wheels, and belts you wanted you may be better off?
I do get tons of compliments on the car and I do like it the most of the Vipers I have owned.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Steve

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The irony in the current ACR is that if you're serious about racing the car, you're better off with a regular GTS. The BBS wheels, are not any wider (they should've been 12"x18") so a new of Purner rims are in order for track work. The 5 point belts have supposedly been deemed faulty, so a set of Simpsons are in order to replace them. The Dynamic Suspension damping rates and adjustability are far too low, so a set of Penskes are in order. Unless you're racing in a class where you can't alter the suspension the $11,000+ premium just isn't worth it.

That being said, the stiffer ride isn't unbearable on the street, the rims are a huge step up in looks and there is something to be said for buying the top of the line car. It's kinda like how it's hard to buy a 330i when you know the M3 exists--well, unless your handle is Kid'97GTS.

If the $11K isn't too big of a stretch, I say get it.

Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned a 94, 96 and 99 RT, 96 and 99 GTS and now a 01 ACR. My 2 cents is that the 01 ACR is the best of all the rides. It handles better and is more responsive than any of the other vipers I have owned. I once said that I would not pay the difference between the GTS and ACR for shocks and wheels, I was wrong the car is worth the difference. If you are going to take the car to the track, I agree that different wheels and tires are in order (same for any Viper), but for the street I will keep the BBS wheels. I disagree about changing out the 5-points and shocks.

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, I am on my 4th viper, 94 rt/10, 96 GTS, 2000 rt/10 and now 01 ACR. I also said I would never spend the extra money for the ACR, but I did and would do it again. Along with all the other options I was able to lower the car 1" with the adjustable shocks, it looks a lot better. I took the car bone stock to the dyno with 300 miles on it. 1st pull 429 rwhp, 2nd pull 442 rwhp, 3rd pull 444 rwhp. Temp was 70. I now have Belanger headers and exhaust and will be going back to the dyno this week.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dgeviper1:
PMUM,
are you an owner of a 2001 ACR?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. I've had an '01 ACR since last November.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lot's of valid points above. My POV is for street and light to moderate track use, the ACR is a real bargain. The wheels are awesome, the five points are essential and look great, and the car handles like it's on rails. I have a 99 mind you so I'm still dealing with the Koni shock rattle issue which is n/a to a 01. Gawk factor is also up as I've heard many an onlooker say "WOW, it's an ACR"!

I wouldn't have anything but an ACR. My $0.02 .....

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don

My ACR on my first dyvo run made 422rwp. My second had 414rwp. So how does your ACR make more horsepower with each successive run. I also want someone to tell me how exactly do you lower the height of ther car another inch. If I do lower it will it stiffen the ride that much more that it wont be streetable. I have been toild by friends that at top speed their regular GTS is bobbing up and down at 170mph. In the meantime my ACR is like a rock at 170+ miles per hour. I am very comfortable in it. has anyone hit 190+ miles per hour as I want to try and break it soon. 180 is my max

Thanks

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why my car went up in hp, it was a cool day and they waited about 5 minute between pulls with a fan at the front and the hood open the tech also said it was normal to go down in hp, but every thing checked out. So I will be going back and see what happens this time. To lower the car just read your owners manual its easy. There is a manual just for the shocks.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan..where is a dyno around here? I live in Westchester and the only one I know in near Philly. I will bring my 01 ACR down in a second. I posted 410 at Mid Ohio Viper days with 2000 miles and bone stock . I hope with a break in and the Borla cat backs to be @420. Unlike Paul....I love the ACR way more than the 96 GTS with the JRZs. I like the Dynamic suspension and the car handles great..I do have a cage in it so it is stiffer than a normal ACR...and highly predictable. The ACR (sans 5 point belts) is a great package and the wheels seal the deal.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FOR LOOKS...STRIPES YES!!!

FOR PERFORAMNCE ACR.

IF I HAD TO CHOOSE I WOULD GO ACR.

DGEVIPER1...HOW ABOUT ORGANIZING A DYNO DAY FOR OUR CLUB...WE CAN RENT THE DYNOT FOR THE ENTIRE DAY ON A WEEKEND OR ON A WEEKDAY EVENING. I THINK THE CLUB WOULD HELP WITH THE COST.

LET ME KNOW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte