Want to improve your exhaust note without paying a high price? (PICS)

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just completed installation of my “poor man’s exhaust system”. As you can see from the photos, I now have the Random Tech ceramic hi-flows, Dyno-Max race mufflers, and an X-pipe with 4 inch tips. The sound is absolutely incredible … louder than normal at idle and absolutely satanic at WOT! :headbang: Total cost (excluding welding labor) … $600

Installation in progress (local muffler/welding shop)
269First_Pictures_005.jpg

Hi-flows and Dyno-Max mufflers with 3 inch inlet/outlet
269aFirst_Pictures_023.jpg

269First_Pictures_0181.jpg

X-Pipe with stainless steel 4 inch tips.
269FirstPictures5401.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with the results. The car finally sounds like it has a V-10 engine. If you are looking for a mean sound but your funds are limited ... this is the system for you.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"What x-pipe did you use?" ... I used a modified version of an X-pipe purchased from Vipermed.

"where are the sensors?" ... The sensors were not moved or modified. That portion of the system is still "stock".

I can not emphasize how mean the system sounds. It is simply incredible.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey garolittle -

Did you go with 2.5" or 3" cats and mufflers (inlet/outlet)? It looks like the stock 2.5" sytem with 3" cats and mufflers but I can't tell...

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct. The cats and mufflers are 3 inch inlet/outlet but the pipes leading into (and out of) the new stuff is stock. I must admit that the Dyno-Max mufflers worried me a little since they are little more than a straight pipes with holes punched in the walls :eek: . Much to my surprise, the race mufflers seem to keep the car from being unbearable loud.

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clean looking install. Where did you get your Dyno-Max muffler and any chance we can you get a sound byte?

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I could make a quick sound clip with the video feature on my digital camera. I hate to show my ignorance but I have no idea how to post it.

Better yet, I could just crank the car at a designated time (say 6:00 p.m. tonight) and everyone could stick their head out the window an listen. Trust me ... you will hear it. :D

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a [******], but why didn't you just pick up a nice used cat back for around that price? You'd get bigger diameter pipe, and probably make more power.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a [******], but why didn't you just pick up a nice used cat back for around that price? You'd get bigger diameter pipe, and probably make more power.

I thought about that but remember the $600 includes the cost of Random Tech high flow cats. Absent that expense, the cost of my system would have been around $260. I have not seen any used cat-back systems for that price.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought about that but remember the $600 includes the cost of Random Tech high flow cats. Absent that expense, the cost of my system would have been around $260. I have not seen any used cat-back systems for that price.

Yeah, that's true. I guess I didn't think about the cats.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where did you buy those dyno max mufflers from??

I bought the mufflers from a local auto shop. You can find a dealer near you by going to www.dynomax.com and clicking on "Where can I buy". I think I paid about $40 each for them. I highly recommend these mufflers because the sound is simply awesome! :eek: :headbang: :eek:

Let me add one disclaimer .... I do not believe that systems such as mine are going to be nearly as efficient as dealers systems (Corsa, Borla, B&B, etc). My primary goal was to improve the sound of my Viper at a minimum cost. If you wish to get optimal horsepower improvement, please call Jon B. (360-837-3974) at PartsRack or visit his web-site at www.Partsrack.com.

One more disclaimer ... Jon B. did not pay me to say that. :D

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great Gary.
:cool:
I also took a similar approach. I bought Roe high flow cats, and just replaced all the mufflers with straight exhaust pipe from Summit. I used a Summit H-pipe in place of the rear muffler, and had the stock tips welded back on.
I love the sound.
:)

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so if i order those dynomax muffler, is there any size i should know or a part # will help, thanks

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so if i order those dynomax muffler, is there any size i should know or a part # will help, thanks

Race Magnum Bullet
4" round, 3" inlet/outlet 16 1/2" long
Model #DYN.24222

wow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the 4" pipe fit ok in a 96 GTS? Also, since I do not have cats or rear ****, would these dynomax mufflers simply take the place of the resonators? In other words, where should I place the new mufflers from Dynomax, closer to front or rear. Does it make a difference?

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the 4" pipe fit ok in a 96 GTS? Also, since I do not have cats or rear ****, would these dynomax mufflers simply take the place of the resonators? In other words, where should I place the new mufflers from Dynomax, closer to front or rear. Does it make a difference?

The Dynomax mufflers are 4 inches wide (at most) so should fit nicely in a GTS. However, we need a few GTS guys to chime in for confirmation. Also, I would recommend placing the Dynomax mufflers in about the same location as the stock resonators.

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
will it too loud if take out the cats and rear muffler delete and just have the dynomax in place?? by the way where did you buy the hiflow cats???

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
will it too loud if take out the cats and rear muffler delete and just have the dynomax in place?? by the way where did you buy the hiflow cats???

I am not sure how loud that will be. Probably not too bad since the high-flows do not seem to offer much resistance to the exiting fumes. I bought the Random Tech's from Jon B at PartsRack www.partsrack.com Jon always gives a great price for his products!

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the tips on your set up are awesome .
thanks for the pic

congrats
Jim

Thanks. I believe this should be a standard mod on all Vipers. The stock tips look a little small for a car with a V-10.

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
can you send me a picture of your exhaust tip too?? to [email protected], thanks

oh by the way, do you think it will sound good even if i keep the stock cats, and just weld in the dynomax?? thanks

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you send me a picture of your exhaust tip too?? to [email protected], thanks

oh by the way, do you think it will sound good even if i keep the stock cats, and just weld in the dynomax?? thanks

Pics are on the way. In answer to your question, I would say "yes". The dynomax mufflers are awesome and would probably give you a little more volume than the stock resonators. I say go for it because you can always undo it later.