Watch out for this Blue/White 08 Viper on eBay

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
TowDawg is 100% correct. There are some states that will issue a clean title if you fix a salvaged vehicle. I was involved in law enforcement for over 33 years. This practice is common. The mutts know exactly which states to go to. As an example, there was a big problem with the Katrina cars. Many obviously totaled for water damage. Purchased, cleaned up and new titles obtained in the states issuing clean titles.

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
relisted at $59k, and he's claiming the bumper "has a fresh cost of paint", and zero rock chips, LOL. When I'm in the market for a viper, somehow a "fresh coat of paint" isn't exactly a selling point. what a joker.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see all his bravado is gone this time around.

Not anymore. Haha. I sent him an email asking why he was trying to sell a salvage title Viper as clean. Here is his reply.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet buddy. AS you can clearly see the Title is Clean and it is posted in the pictures.
I've never seen a bunch of grown ass Men act like group of little *******. Check your facts and mind you're business!!!"

He clearly has no intentions of coming clean with this car.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insurance cut me a check for the car, not sure quite what you are asking. I assume when they deem the car a "total loss" that's what happens, but not sure.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I may be wrong but as you may remember I was interested in buying your car before. I have seen car's get wrecked and still have clean titles. I thought your car had a clean (non salvage) title when you were looking to sell it??? I may be forgetting, or may have never even asked just assumed. I know you were 100% honest when you were looking to sell so maybe I assumed it was clean and you wanted to make 100% sure the buyer knew what they were getting.

Anyways I have a question. So when you did sell the car you sold it directly to this guy????? How was he to deal with? I would almost assume the guy would be a bit odd especially trying to turn around and sell it so soon and lie.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you may be confused. The car was involved in an accident in December of 2011 (after I spoke to you) and declared a total loss by insurance. This person purchased it from a salvage auction some time this year, repaired the car, and is now trying to sell the car as an undamaged car. Hope this clears up the confusion.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It sounds like it was either never reported as totaled, or title washed. I've seen title washing done over and over. 8 Mile in detroit is full of title washed cars. Heck, my 91' Stealth was in seven reported accidents that I can count and totaled once. When I traded it in, it went to auction in Ohio, and last year I looked it up. It was still on the road with over 300K miles and had a CLEAN TITLE. Not one accident showed up! Don't ask me how they do it, but they do. Ohio is a title wash state, be careful.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you may be confused. The car was involved in an accident in December of 2011 (after I spoke to you) and declared a total loss by insurance. This person purchased it from a salvage auction some time this year, repaired the car, and is now trying to sell the car as an undamaged car. Hope this clears up the confusion.

Ah! Did not know it was in a wreck afterwards! Makes total sense now. Are you getting in a new Viper anytime then?

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He told me the Feds had the car and he bought it from a auction, said they improperly towed the car and damaged the hood and front facia, which he had fixed...oh my:drive:

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stories are getting pretty creative I must admit. Too bad I posted the photo above that proves he's lying.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is a prime example why shopping/buying/owning a Viper is a special experience. For one, you have vendors and site sponsors that know cars individually because of their rare nature. Another point is if you are in the used market, you have a strong chance that someone here owned it or knows about it and can validate the seller's back story. Kudos Malu59RT.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why when I bought my Viper this summer, I was a nervous wreck, had it inspected, but then still didn't feel comfrortable until I had Chuck Tator look it over. When he called me and gave me his blessing, THEN I felt ok. Owner was not active on the forums, so the car was a bit of a mystery. With only 860 miles on a 2005, who knows why that is, good or bad.

Hopefully someone doesn't get screwed with this car in terms of PRICE. Certainly not every prospective Viper owner is on this site, or even reads it.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I guess he's got to hope for a real idiot now, since anyone googling the VIN will land on this page if they have any brains. :rolaugh:

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe that the title doesn't show to be salvaged through carfax. I talked with someone at CarFax and there is a customer comments section on the CarFax report that we can add comments to. I've added my comment in hopes of helping anyone out, but if anyone else would like to comment, feel free to scroll to the bottom and add comments (will take 24hrs to post). If I could post in an image tag of the wrecked car, I would.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/FSBO.cfm?report=B72CFCDD95F320C80990AB3BCEA521DC#OwnershipHistorySection

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How unfortunate. I contacted Carfax and they updated the car as a total loss, but now it shows on his listing that it isn't?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave