Weight savings of my GTS side exhaust conversion

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I got the OE sill insulation trimmed today to fit the Autoform sills and my ice cube spitting vent system, as that was the last part to weigh.

Yes I used the digital bathroom scales - me plus the part minus me - so factor that as you must.

OE HEADERS - 16.8
BELANGER HEADERS (complete) - 30.8

OE CATS - 31.6
CAT-BACK SYSTEM - 52.4

NEW SIDE EXHAUST (R/T HF cats, Belanger mufflers) - 33.6

OE SIDE SILLS w/ OE INSULATION - 22.4
AUTOFORM SILLS w/ OE INSULATION (trimmed) - 24

UNEEDED OE HANGERS - 2.6

Red numbers minus blue numbers equals 37.4 pounds.

I think this project is going to end up around $5K spent.

That's about $134 per pound.

Or given a recent comment of 8 pounds per horsepower, $1070 per hp based strictly on the weight reduction.

Can't wait to get back to the dyno to get my accountant off my Crescent wrench.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man that is really awesome. I'll bet the sound is pretty mean too! I would love to see pics of the finished product!

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man that is really awesome. I'll bet the sound is pretty mean too! I would love to see pics of the finished product!

Actually, the sound has kind of surprised me. I haven't been able to drive the car car yet, but last night I started it and ran it a couple of times. Smoke-o-rama for a bit on God only knows what was on those parts...

Anyway, I had suspected my previous system had leaks, as getting on the gas with the windows down was a no-no. We'll assume those leaks I assumed I had also came with audible effects too.

So, the new **all welded no clamps** installation has reduced sound from the leaks standpoint. But until we get the road test the final sound check is still unknown. But it sounds good in the snake pit on jack stands...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking for a little comfort from my fellow Viper brothers.

Hmm.

Don't you have an earthquake or a civil riot to go watch?

Aww... you know I got nothin but love for you, man. My left knee is busted, and until it heals in 3-4 weeks, I'm out of the Viper. Misery wants company, you know. :D

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aww... you know I got nothin but love for you, man. My left knee is busted, and until it heals in 3-4 weeks, I'm out of the Viper. Misery wants company, you know. :D

Maybe you can borrow Juli's Corvette? I've heard it's a real sweetheart for the one legged enthusiast!

But really, why the busted knee? :dunno: Runny latte on the sidewalk accident? :lmao:

There we go again. Showing no respect...

Get well soon fellow R/W GTS brother!

V

Venomiss

Even though the cost is around five grand think of the money you saved by doing it yourself.
Good job and looking forward to the pictures.

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With no or some types of HF cats you'll get the "fuel smell" when sitting at a traffic light but htats normal due to opening the motor up. Look on the bright side... the inside temps will drop quite a bit now that the car can breath better. Now all you need is a pair of hair dryers for the ultimate upgrade.
Enjoy.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With no or some types of HF cats you'll get the "fuel smell" when sitting at a traffic light but htats normal due to opening the motor up. Look on the bright side... the inside temps will drop quite a bit now that the car can breath better. Now all you need is a pair of hair dryers for the ultimate upgrade.
Enjoy.

My problem was WOT with the stock cats and the winders down. Had to have been leaks at the clamps. The sound is so much different now, as in not that leaky kind of sound.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I love the smell of fuel in the morning..

The smell, you know that gasoline smell...nothing else in the world smells like that

It smells like.. VICTORY"

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I'm reading this correctly you lost 50.4 lbs by going from rear exhaust to side exhaust?

Looking at just that segment of the work, yes.

Of course the new side exhaust includes the turnouts from the Belanger merge collectors, but to connect to the factory headers you would need to modify that portion of the exhaust slightly. Maybe gaining back a few pound if you add in some more pipe to reach the OE header connection.

The side exhaust sections I refer to... A pic to illustrate.

Yank the cats or the mufflers and they get even lighter!

You must be registered for see images

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to cruise on up to dallas sometime and here this. I have been considering doing this conversion myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960