Weird emissions / evap problem

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After having the battery disconnected for an hour or so, my OBD-II reset. I've put over 100 miles on the car since, but the OBD is still showing the evap sensor as NOT READY and the O2 sensor heater ( I think that is it) as NOT READY. Normally I wouldn't care, but the car was due for an inspection last week and now I'm driving w/ an illegal tag.

Does anyone know a) how long it takes for the evap test to complete or b) how many miles I need to drive until I should expect it the OBD to test the system?

Or if anyone knows a procedure to follow in order to speed up the process, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JD

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have had the same issue. Without knowing why, I find that longer drives help the burn in quicker than a bunch of short trips. If you plot a course that goes through the gears freqently, you can do 90-120 minures and get the OBD "ready".

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JOE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON A COUPLE OF OTHER CARS I HAVE IN STORAGE AFTER HOOKING THE BATTERY BACK UP .FIRST THING I DID WAS CLEAR ANY CODES WITH AN OBD 2 SCANNER CODE ERASER.THEN I WOULD DRIVE CYCLE THE AUTO FOR ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO UNDER ALL VARIED CONDITIONS,STOP AND GO,FREEWAY,MAKING SURE I SHIFTED BACK AND FORTH FROM GEAR TO GEAR.THIS NORMALLY TAKES CARE OF THE NOT READY ISSUE.REGARDS..............NORM :D

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's a number of trips, not just miles or time. A trip is defined as starting the engine with coolant below a certain temperature and rising beyond a certain temperature. So you can't just turn the engine off and restart. I think Janni had something like this with her Gen 3.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte