What am I looking at for gears?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm so confused at what to do or not do but I'm looking to see what gears would run for my current 03 (in my sig).

I guess there are few options, like just doing 3.55s ring/pinion swap, buying a GenIV diff with 3.55 setup. I'm clueless on the costs.

Also, I have no real mechanical help in MD, I'm a DIY when it comes to a lot of things, but I've never donw gears & wouldn't want to learn on my viper, any ideas on the ballpark labor costs also? Thanks guys.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a deal on a complete new rear diff assy with a Quaife and had the seller have Unitrax install 3.33's (since I'm sure I'll end up going FI in the future).
I paid just over 2k for the set-up and thought about doing it myself, but after the problems the shop had getting the old halfshafts off the sock rear end, I'm glad I didn't. If I remember correctly, I think it was around $400 for the labor to swap diffs. $2400 isn't too bad for a Quaife with quality gears installed by someone who knows what they're doing (Unitrax).
From what I've read about installing the gears themselve, it's not all that hard, but you had better know what you're doing! It's not something to learn as you go. I think I remember a lot of people saying an off-road shop that does a lot of work on DANA diffs, should be able to do it with no issues.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to both Woodhouse and JonB about gears. Both were great to deal with and offered great advice. When I talked to JonB, he convinced me to just upgrade to a late model rear end with 3.55 gears. The setup came from Unitrax, who had them in stock ready to go, and has been great. They also gave me a core refund on my diff. The drivibility over the 3.07s is better IMHO because I like backroads. But on the interstate now 6th gear is 80mph as just under 2000 RPM. Folks will tell you that there is no difference in acceleration but seat of the pants tells me it is easier to drive. Now you have a 3rd gear that will go from 20mph to about 100mph (not that I tried of course). 4th and 5th are really fun on backroads and the car is easier to shift. Unless you are a real nut for the last bit of performance, you don't need the Quaife (which requires machining) or a Giken (which does not). I am sure they are better for autocrossing or racing) but for regular use, the late model Viper rear end is plenty strong and takes care of the weakness folks say is in the 2003's. You might be happy with the 3.33 gears as well. Find someone who has different gears and ask for a drive. Call JonB when he gets back from Sebring or Mark Jorgensen at Woodhouse. Both can fix you up and I am sure there are other folks who support us who can do the same.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the upgrade on my 03 to a 09 rear end with 3:55 and is a great mod, but If I had to do it over again I will go with the 3:73. RSI (racing solutions inc.) did a great job on my car.