What are your thoughts on bras?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bras for the viper that is...or thoughts on clear auto films like stongard to protect against rocks, etc. What are the advantages, disadvantages, costs, and where to buy?

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been shopping for one to protect my yellow front from "stuff" on trips. I wouldn't have it on around town though. Looking at one of the less expensive black ones, but have not found a very good selection to choose from. Black is a much better color than the other colors that end up onthe front on longer trips.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious jokes and Antonio's obsession with his fiance's bra, I hate them. Particularly on a beautiful Viper. It doesn't make sense, people buy such a beautiful car and then put this ugly bra on it to "protect" it. What's more visible - tiny little rock chips or a big ugly bra? I've got 24K on my 98 and the only one that notices the chips is me. I think bras belong in the garbage with luggage racks and cup holders.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a Mopar bra for my 99 GTS and put it on the car before drving from Portland to Willows California for Viper Days. I think the bras are more trouble then they are worth. This one fit OK, but two of the mounting straps went under the hood and clipped onto the hood stops. The straps made it difficult to get the hood to close all the way. Also, I collected a mountain of grit under the bra. I took it off when I reached the track and never put it back on again.

As far as the 3M protective film goes, I think it looks worse then a few rock chips, especially if you take it off and leave a big line where the paint was not protected. I have decided to just drive the car and be happy. I avoid fresh gravel and watch my distance to other cars, but I accept the fact that I'll get some wear and tear on the finish of the car. After only 6500 miles the side sills are all ready pretty well chipped up. Oh well.

Jim

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bras ****..they do more damage than good...leave it on and when you take it off you'll have scuffs and bare spots where the **** thing rubbed through the paint. You couldn't pay me enough to put one on my Viper or any car for that matter.

On top of that they are ugly and a stupid trend that started in the mid-1980's along with big hair and Huey Lewis and the News...

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, while I don't have experience with them on a snake, I can say this much... A bra causes more damage than it prevents. The first downfall of a bra is that they trap dirt under itself and will scratch the paint when you remove to wash the car. 2nd problem is that they do have to be removed and cleaned every time you wash the car. If you don't, dirt and moisture get traped. 3rd, a black bra acts as an oven. Moisture under the bra gets traped, then heated by the sun, creating a steam bath for the paint underneith.

In general, unless your just totaly paranoid about chips and have extra time to pull a bra off and on, don't bother. In most cases, it's far better to keep your distance and watch out than put these dirt magnets on.

Dd I mention they were fugly? Beautiful Blue/white GTS...that curvey rear, that sleek roof, that muscular hood and that.... flat black vinyl thing that has leached itsef onto the nose like a parasite... Yechk!
You must be registered for see images

The only way I would use one is for a long trip, where it would be removed when I got it to my destination.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For long trips or on the race track, I use a Mopar mask. It has proven effective in protecting the front facia on many occasions. I wish I had it on when some ***** shoehorned her full figured butt into an illegal spot and damaged my car.

It takes a bit more work (and I agree that it looks mediocre at best), but given responsible periodic use and proper cleaning, it is indeed an effective protective device.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a body colored (red) bra this past winter. From just a little distance you cannot see that it has a bra on. It also contains clear coverings for the fog lamps and side lights with the bra wrapped fully around the rear of the fascia. I have only used it a few times but am very satisfied with it for tightness and prevention for road debris getting underneath. The Mopar bra was terrible for road debris, but easier to get on and off.

I use the bra primarily for long distance trips or for when I know I will be following closely (track or Viper cruises).

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. While at a recent car event, Stongard was present and some cars were done up with it. I wasn't too impressed, and for the $500 for the full kit, I figured that $500 would be better spent on an eventual paint job. As for bras, I had heard they scraped the paint, etc., but it doesn't sound too bad for use on the occasional long trip. What prices, options, and places to buy are there?

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for all the posts guys...I had problems with this thread, it froze up all the time and I didn't know if it sent it or not....Again, sorry

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also bought a Speedlingerie Bra. Looks good but real hard to install. Must be removed to check the oil. Have had problems with the clear vinyl cover over the left foglamp. The bra shifts so the vinyl rubs on the edge of the facia adjacent to the foglamp on the inside towards the middle of the fascia. Have spoken to Paul at the company and he has not been particularly helpful. For $500 the company should come down and rub out the mark and replace the bra.
Good for long trips and racing but not everyday!

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought a new SpeedLingerie bra - outrageously expensive but it looks very good(blue/white) though it is slightly darker than the body. It took 1/2 to install alone, due do the plastic fenderwell pieces. After the initial stretch, it should be easy on/off. Leave it in the sun(black side up) 1 hour and have help the first time.

I bought mine because my last two cars were peppered w/ chips after 3 years

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the same way about bras on cars as I do about bras on women:

Only when absolutely necessary!

I myself prefer the natural look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members