What is a Nice 98-99 GTS Going For?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Basically I just want to know what I should be paying for a 98-99GTS with under 10k miles in excellent condition? Anybody out there bought a GTS in the past 6-12 months that can give me some input?

Thank you

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I cannot wait for the replies to this. Come on guys, don't let me down.

I want to hear about the guy you know who has a dentist that has a patent with a sister who is dating a guy that just bought a 98GTS for 32K.

My opinion for as nice a car as you described. 44k-50k

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say ebay price is about 45-50k, then when you get it home you will find out it has a pinto frame up front.

Or you will buy one from a private party that actually took care of his car, and didn't total it and put it on Ebay to sell it as perfect. This option will probably be 50k-60k, and maybe even more if the car is in very good shape.

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid 50k in July 03 for a 98GtS with 2,200 miles on it.
Best money I ever spent. Happy as a pig in grease.
I guess I might have been lucky. I purchased this car from e-bay sight unseen. Have heard some horror stories about purchases from e-bay but mine worked out great.
Car is perfect except for some very minor scratches on lower front fascia. The car was a one owner vehicle and sat in garage most of it's life. I drive it as much as I can(a little tough right now with salt and potholes) and it runs flawless. Did I mention I was happy?
It still needs to get the frame recalls done but I am a little hesitant about doing so because of the botch jobs that I read about on this forum.
Good luck in your search.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think about it: Suppose you own a 98 GTS which you bought new, and you've babied it's entire life. It's in excellent condition and has, say, 9000 miles on it. Never been wrecked or abused. (Well, OK, maybe once or twice you did a burnout!) You're thinking it might be nice to move on to an SRT. You decide to sell the 99. What do you sell this car for? Last time you looked, Dodge wasn't building anymore GTS's. There aren't any new ones on the market. And the number of excellent one-owner cars like yours shrinks daily. Do you (A) "give away" this car on Ebay for $40,000? Or maybe less, like some posters would like you to believe? Or (B) say screw it, I'm asking $53,000 and will let someone beat me down to $50,000? I'll bet on (B) every time unless there's a need for quick liquidation.

There is no incentive in either party in a used car sale to tell the truth about the sale price. If you're the buyer, you certainly want to look like you got a steaming deal and you weren't a dumb sh*t and paid too much. So you forget about a few thousand bucks. If you're the seller, you want to show that you knew what you were doing too and that you're not a dumb sh*t who doesn't know what his car is worth. Therefore, you embellish the sale price. So take the numbers you hear on a Viper sale with a 50-lb bag of salt.

venomus1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I BOUGHT A RED 98 GTS WITH 12000 MILES FROM A VCA MEMBER WHO LISTED IT IN THE VCA CLASSIFIED SECTION.HE NEVER TOLD ME THAT IT HAD A FEW PAINT TOUCHUPS,I FOUND OUT WHEN I GOT IT HOME,REAL BAD JOB.SO IT GOES TO SHOW IT,S NOT ONLY EBAY YOU HAVE TO WATCH OUT.STILL VERY HAPPY WITH THE CAR OTHER THAN THE TOUCHUPS WITCH ARE BEING POLISHED OUT NOW.I PAID 44,OOO.

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venomus, welcome to the board.

You might want to turn OFF the "caps lock" button.

It is interpreted as SHOUTING!

OP
OP
C

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys.

Call me a stickler for perfection (or perhaps we should call it "Perfection in the eye of the beholder") but I myself wouldn't pay mid 40's for a Viper with touchup paint. I am not buying a viper as my daily driver nor as a show piece. I do, however, wish to have a viper with absolutely no cosmetic flaws and am willing to spend 50k on one that meets my demands for "perfection."

Keep the input coming!

Thanks Again,

Adam

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaron,
Chill man, he didn't say it was B&W.

ps.
I heard some young guys use the word "chill". I don't really talk like that. I'm trying to be "hip". ;-)

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh come on Joe you are not going to get away that easy! You can give a price. Even if you just saw the price on Ebay. :p ;)

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only Viper I want are 98 and 99's

I would never consider an even trade for a 2000 or 2001. These are creampuffs.

Vipers are not like traditional daily driver cars. You can actually pay more for an older car.

Many of us are now doing lots of mods to our cars. NOS and Supercharging. Forged piston cars are worth more money to me.

Just be careful. You normally get what you paid for.

If someone offered me $50k for my 1998, they would go home Viperless.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Jerry...if you want to mod...98,99 are the best but for some who don't want to mod to the point where forged pistons come into play...2001, 2002 is the best because you get ABS.

sorry to say 2000 owners...but 2000 is the least desirable year. No forged pistons...no ABS.

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spend 10k more on a older car... and you could have built that "cream puffs" motor to handle more boost then that old motor could dream of.

Baron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am selling my 98 with 15k miles for $55k if anybody is interested or knows someone who may be. My car has a Corsa exhaust, Random Tech cats, 19" Forgeline rims and tires (new), Eibach lowering springs, EBC brake pads and a $7k stealth stereo system. My car has no engine modifications and their have been no wrecks, paint work, etc. All maintenance work has been done by the dealer and the exhaust/wheel/suspension mods were done by Macedo Motorsports.

You must be registered for see images

The info on the stereo can be found at http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Board=UBB14&Number=94441

I am selling the car because I have a Gallardo coming in. The vehicle is in Orlando and my number is 407-230-9956 if anybody is interested.

Baron