What is needed to install CD player in 98 GTS with stock amp and speakers?

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What is needed to install CD player in 98 GTS with stock amp and speake

The output of the factory CD player is a DIN plug. The output of the 9855 is going to be RCA. A good shop will either have an RCA to din adapter or they can make you one. It should not be too big of a deal.

I believe there is a harness for hot, ground and remote turn on that adapts to the factory plug. You should not need to cut a single wire.

Depending on the deck, you may have to trim the plastic on the outer bezel that covers the radio. There is some adjustment in the screws that hold the radio into the car.

OP
OP
P

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score

anyone here know the exact adapter I need?

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i posted your solution over at the "other" site. look, and ye shall seek ones answer!

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fitted an after market Alpine head unit to my 02 RT, You will need a RCA to DIN conector.. Also i had to disconect an additional wire on the stereo end of the wireing harness due to the speed sensative volume control.. (stereo turns up the faster you go) not sure if that is on the 98s though...

If you get stuck just take stock head unit and your new one to a GOOD audio shop,and they should be able to work it out as the diagram is on the back of the stock unit..

OP
OP
P

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fitted an after market Alpine head unit to my 02 RT, You will need a RCA to DIN conector.. Also i had to disconect an additional wire on the stereo end of the wireing harness due to the speed sensative volume control.. (stereo turns up the faster you go) not sure if that is on the 98s though...

If you get stuck just take stock head unit and your new one to a GOOD audio shop,and they should be able to work it out as the diagram is on the back of the stock unit..

Can you give me a link or pic to the RCA to DIN connector? I want to know what to look for. Thanks.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is a pic but you can get them with a shorter lead.
Hope this helps...

39645D4RCA.jpg

OP
OP
P

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The output of the factory CD player is a DIN plug. The output of the 9855 is going to be RCA. A good shop will either have an RCA to din adapter or they can make you one. It should not be too big of a deal.

I believe there is a harness for hot, ground and remote turn on that adapts to the factory plug. You should not need to cut a single wire.

Depending on the deck, you may have to trim the plastic on the outer bezel that covers the radio. There is some adjustment in the screws that hold the radio into the car.

So I have to run the RCA on the output of the headunit and connect it to the input of the DIN on the amp? How long of a RCA to DIN will I need? Also where can I get the harness to adapt for the factory plug? I am a stereo noob.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I am also getting ready for this.
You should be able to use the din to rca right at the back of your new unit.
As far as new unit wiring, they do not make a plug for power,ground etc. I am personally going to run a piggy-back wire to the fuse panel to avoid any cutting, incase I go back to stock.

TooEvil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just posted this same message in another thread, but make sure you turn the gain on the amp down, or you'll have hearing problems. I have a CDA9845 and it's line level is greater than the amp wants. At least that's the way the 96 GTS was.