What is the front vs. rear tire wear ratio?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always kept to fitting the stock Michelins. I expected the rears to wear out twice as fast as the fronts, but they don't! Mine wear out at exactly the same rate front to rear. I get about 3000 miles per set. That's mainly street use with very occasional track time (unfortunately) but I am a bit of a hooligan! Can't resist a daily donut! The rear of my Viper does carry a warning: "Caution, rear wheel steering"! I guess with the weight of that huge V10 over the fronts, is what scrubs 'em off. Fair-play?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I am curious what others have experienced regarding wear of the front tires vs. the rear. Obviously driving style and usage dramatically affects wear, but for an average street driven GTS, would one go through 2 sets of rears to one set of fronts for example?

Also, are 285-40/17's OK (i.e no clearance problems) in place of the no longer available 275-40/17 stock MXX3's for a '96 GTS?

Thanks a lot...</FONT f>

Reaction score
I used to get even wear, but now I burn up the rears much faster (1 too many HP upgrades I guess). As far as the insides wearing more than the outsides, I think that indicates an alignment problem. Go see Archer racing and / or Bobby Archer! They'll set the car up right! Your tire wear should be even across the tire, (I think)

my $0.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery