What should I watch out for in a used 97-99 gts?

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the market for one and have found a few that peak my interest. I've seen a few that have 30-40k miles on them. Are there any "issues" that tend to pop up with these cars? Basically looking for any warning signs with these cars. I'll be dropping the car at Roe Racing and letting them do some little things to it. They did my SRT-10 truck and I've been elated with it. Sean's attention to detail is insane. I'm not going to go crazy with this as I did my truck.

What should I expect to replace on a 30-40k mile gts?

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have sean drop the oil pan and check a couple rod bearings before you buy. the oil pan can be removed easily from the bottom as there is no x-member in the way (will require oil change). @100k miles on my gts there was no wear (brass) showing through on the rod bearings. only slight oil bypass at higher revs (having someone follow while running through the gears pretty hard & looking for black colored smoke) blueish is rich condition fuel. compression test and leak down test will give you further valve & ring seal data. have him inspect the frame for straightness and repairs. Body panels on the underside. Pull up the trunk carpet and look for water. driving it feel for play in steering, on a strait gas it hard and it should pull strait forward not to the side or feel uneven. while its up on the lift you can inspect play in the steering and wheel bearings. @100k miles replace the wheel bearings and control arm bushings. Dyno test will give you overall motor health 390-420 is what most bone stock dyno at, with old plugs, wires, or other misc items you can lose some there. sean can do all of the above tests for you in 4-8 hours labor. i would not buy a viper without all of the above health checks completed. With every check passing with flying colors i would buy any "high" mile gts if the price is right.

Replace all 4 tires right after you buy it unless you have proof of recent replacement. 10 year old tires are a quick way to end up wrecked.

once you buy, take pics!!!

happy hunting! :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456