What to look for when buying a Viper?

jayskills

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please post any things I should look at prior to looking at a Viper? I'm going out of state to look at one and made myself a checklist I copied from CARFAX...more advice from anyone would be appreciated.

NOTE: I also and a complete "noob" looking under the hood....I just read up on how to open it....so any locations to some of the tutorials to do some of the checks below would be awesome.

Did some homework;
I checked the CARFAX (clean)
I've driven a 1994 Viper before (not a Gen 2 model)

Body;
  1. Make sure the body parts line up
  2. Ensure the paint matches
  3. Ensure doors open and close easily
  4. Check tires for even wear.

Lift the Hood
  1. Check under the hood for leaky hoses, worn belts, and dirty oil. Automatic transmission fluid should be clear and reddish, and not smell burned.
  2. Radiator water should have a light yellow or green color

Take a Seat -
  1. Turn the ignition key to accessory and make sure all of the warning lights and gauges work.
  2. Start the car and check all lights and accessories and make sure no warning lights remain lit on the dashboard. Pay close attention to airbag warning lights.

Run the Car;
  1. Race the engine for a few quick bursts and listen for knocks, look for smoke and make sure the idle runs smooth.

Hit the Road -

1. Take the vehicle up to 35-40 MPH.
  2. Make sure shifting is smooth and steering is straight.
  3. When braking, a pull to the left or the right could indicate a brake problem.
  4. The steering wheel should not shimmy at high speeds, and cornering should be smooth.

:drive:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad you are entering the viper world

do a search, your very q has been asked recently several times

basically, check the same things as on other cars, the list above is good and i used it when i bought mine

as 1 of our sages says, "the year matters"

know/learn how to close the hood is more important than opening it

check tire age (not just tread), any recalls done....(really not too much more - very dependable cars)

enjoy

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the car does not have three year old or newer tires plan on a set of tires. No old tires on Vipers! Like Dave said, get it on a rack, check the frame.

V

Venomiss

Recall work done correctly. Use the search many threads devoted to this.

You must be registered for see images

Recall 998: 1996-1999 [Coupe & Roadster] built through March 1, 1999 [MDH 030110]
Recall 999: 1999-2000 [Coupe & Roadster] built from March 1, 1999 through October 2, 2000 [MDH 030111 - MDH 1002XX]

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If at all possible have a Viper tech. at a Dodge dealership inspect it-top and bottom. Up on a lift is a must anyway you go. A high percentage of Vipers have been wrecked, so take your time inspecting it. Repairs can be done right, but few have the expertice to do it right. Good luck.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Take the vehicle up to 35-40 MPH.

I would Definitely take her past 40mph:)

Automatic transmission fluid should be clear and reddish, and not smell burned.

That info is incorrect, our Automa... ahhh forget it:brick:

I assume you dont know jack mechanically about an automobile so why try to perform an inspection yourself?
My advice is to bring along a Knowledgeable VCA member to asist you. Contact you local region or post a thread in the regional section to find someone.
http://forums.viperclub.org/vca-regional-forums/
have fun with your search:drive:

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lift the Hood

1. Check under the hood for leaky hoses, worn belts, and dirty oil. Automatic transmission fluid should be clear and reddish, and not smell burned.

Good luck finding the auto trans fluid

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When in doubt-don't. Any question in your mind at all, walk away. There are too many out there to not get a great car at a great price. If you're not sure of what to look for or whether what you're looking at is correct and right, you are the wrong person to be making the thumbs up or thumbs down. This part is business-decide with your head and not with your heart. I got someone with knowledge to inform me. Good luck!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your general comments about paint condition are even more telling in a Viper than other cars, and I would like to add interior. Given the robustness of the Viper's drivetrain, and the generally low cost of drivetrain related repairs (compared to a German or Itialian car of similar interest) you really are buying condition when you buy a Viper. The condition really tells the Viper's story of how it has been cared for. Other than what you have listed, you need to get some sense of how well any modifications where done. There was some horrible/ghetto work done on my car before I got it and repairing that was a lot of what I have done to my own car. Just remember, body work cost WAY more than mechanical work on a Viper.

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spend a little money and have a viper tech check it out,best money you can spend.