whats it worth with bad head gasket/6800 mile 96 gts

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im leaning towards just selling her the way she sits.its very upsetting trying to deal with this rite now.the car is mint and the gasket is the only problem.what could i expect to get out of her in this condition.motor starts and sounds fine/interior and exterior are darn near perfect as are the rims ect.anyone interested in this project?for someone that is handy ,they could get a screaming deal on a minty blue white gts/anyone out there can help me out.im considering the sharks on the bay but i want the experts opinion first/
thanks
rich
[email protected]

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just fix it and drive it, all you need to do is put a set of gaskets on her.

I second that. Jeez...the head gaskets go and you want to sell? I replaced mine and never looked back! No more leaks and runs great. As far as people saying the bearings are shot I wouldn't worry about it. I'd throw in an upper engine gasket set, flush the oil twice and call it a day.

Just a heads up. My 1985 Ram with a 200,000+ miles on a 360 motor has had chocolate pudding on the dipstick for the past two years. Always low on coolant as well. The motor runs great and has no knocks. I drive it hard and it still runs great. It needs head gaskets but I am waiting until she blows up because I am putting another motor in it.

Worst case scenario is you may have to put a few grand in the motor....

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im leaning towards just selling her the way she sits.its very upsetting trying to deal with this rite now.the car is mint and the gasket is the only problem.what could i expect to get out of her in this condition.motor starts and sounds fine/interior and exterior are darn near perfect as are the rims ect.anyone interested in this project?for someone that is handy ,they could get a screaming deal on a minty blue white gts/anyone out there can help me out.im considering the sharks on the bay but i want the experts opinion first/
thanks
rich
[email protected]
$30-$35k.......for the simple reason that there is water in your oil. That can not be good on the internals. For the guy that wants a sound car, I would feel that the motor could use at least going through and mabe a partial rebuild, and if your are going to go that far with it may as well add all of the go-fast goodies that you can afford. I really do not think that you are going to be able to live with the loss between the high retail that you paid and what it is worth in the current condition. It still makes more sense to fix-it. Good Luck.
C~

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my 96 RT/10 in February with 8300 miles on it. I was advised that the head gaskets could be a problem on a car that has been sitting. When I went to Ted May at Ayala racing, he advised me that I didn't have the problem yet, but to start a campaign fund of around $1500 or so. Some of the other guys have suggested using it as an opportunity to do some performance mods.

I had all the fluids changed and have put about 1400 miles on it since February, and so far so good. But I'm mentally prepared to have the work done since I like the car.

If you like the car in general, why not have a good Viper Tech change the head gaskets and fluids. If you're not so crazy about it, then get it fixed, and sell it afterwards. You'll take more of a hit than the cost of repairs if you sell it while it is broken, IMHO.

And while you may have paid $53,000, I'm willing to bet that the 96 GTS market will probably pay less than $49,000 today. I got my RT/10 for significant dollars under that mark, with an Autoform hardtop, and side windows included. At 8200 miles from someone I knew.

If you're going to a later year, you might consider 2003. They aren't awfully expensive, and they have the 5/5/5 setup. For me, it's a matter of which car you like the looks of better.

Regards,
Larry
96 RT/10 Black w/Silver Stripes :2tu: :usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang