What's the best 5 point harness for 97 GTS?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s the best 5 point harness for 97 GTS?

Get the TeamTech harnesses - padding, 3" wide webbing, sternum strap, quality hardware - cannot go wrong. Also, the cam lock is attached to the anti-sub belt so it doesn't bash your car every time you get out. Also can't go wrong with PartsRack - Jon B is having a sale on these right now as an introductory price. Henry and I have seatbelt install instructions (tested by Jerry Scott and others)will send if you'd like. e me.

You must be registered for see images

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just got the Team Tech (Ram pac) harness installed. I purchased it from Bobby Archer.

They definitely keep you mounted in your seat!

-W

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

PartsRack has a MARCH SPECIAL on Team Tech belts.

Custom color combos even match your stripes !

Call me or E for special March Pricing.......

JonB

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had both Simpson and Schroth. I think all the belts on the market, nothing compares to Schroth. You don't see Team Tech belts in F1 cars. Also there is a built in safety release in the Schroth belts. THe buckle is plastic and much easier on the interior of the Viper. Check them out at www.supersonicracing.com He also has great prices!

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does Schroth still make the crappy 4 point belt that is notorious at the Glen?

"I heard about a strange incident with a Schroth belt system
at a BMWCCA school at Watkins Glen. Apparently there were 4 point (yes not 5 or 6 but 4!) belts that students were installing in their bimmers that had some sort of electronic or gas charge that is something like the sensor for an airbag. One of these cars lost control and swiped the armco which made the belt deploy and protected the driver during the initial contact but then completely loosened up and was useless as the car sustained the 2nd much harder impact into the barrier. After smacking his head THROUGH the windshield, the driver went away in an ambulance and amazingly only had a concussion and minor cuts.

Because of this incident many instructors at the Glen hate getting in cars with this particular model Schroth and actually wear the factory belt along with it. I advise anyone with this sytem to go out and get a Simpson or just wear the factory belt.

If they havn't already, I hope Schroth takes this belt of the market."

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I, too was initially impressed with Schroth. Bought 4 sets for 2 Vipers. However, the 5-year old set has badly cracked buckles and harness adjusters, and normal fraying is occuring. As a Pace Car unit, I get a LOT of in/out passenger traffic. Dozens of passengers each weekend. The extra use has deteriorated the plastic items badly!

..so I have switched to TeamTech in my Viper. Used em at VOI.6 and felt confident and safe and better-protected. Honest! (Thanks Janni+Henri)

JonB

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since everyone raves about Teamtech what is the SFI or FIA rating?

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think you are all focusing on old 2 inch Schroth belts. You really should look at the new stuff. Mine are great and I get many compliments and people love the comfort. Check out www.supersonicracing.com and ask Joe Anderson for details. I personally feel they are superior to Team Tech and the are SCCA legal.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had the Snake Oyl harness in my 95 for about a year before I sold it. Very nice, easy to install, 3" wide straps with shoulder pads and a good cam-lock latch. I liked it fine. Used it at the track several times and the harness really kept me glued into the seat.

Never tested in a wreck though (thank goodness). I would say forget about cosmetics and get a recommendation from someone who's been through a crash and still ain't takin' the big dirt nap ... if ya know what I mean. Function over form.

-Eric-

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Why SHROTH in F-1? Two Words: "Bernie Eccle$tone"
The F-1 Layback belt w/ HANS is a way-different animal.

The plastic adjusters and retainers of my 4 SCHROTH harnesses, after 5 years of heavy duty, literally fell apart. Fact.

After 5 years in my new TeamTech's I'll give you the same honest assessment! {I saw some distinctive TT harnesses in the TransAm Cars on Speedvision right now!)

JonB

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Another great belt is the one available through Snake-Oyl products. The 5 point harness is very wide, has a great release mechanism, and is easy to adjust. Their number is 608-849-9878 and ask for the VCA discounted price.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill had the Snake Oyl belts installed in my 2000 GTS. I wish I had them in my 96 GTS before hitting the the Cork Screw wall at Laguna Seca! Would have saved me the pain of 3 broken ribs.