What's up with the generally poor hood/front light interface?

Homie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like 80% of the G1s and G2s I see have very noticible gaps between the hood and the frong headlights. Is that just the way they are (not produced to fit very well), or is it because there is some mods that don't close all the way?

If it's the former can you do some work to make it fit better? Those large gaps drive me nuts!

Thanks fellas.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like 80% of the G1s and G2s I see have very noticible gaps between the hood and the frong headlights. Is that just the way they are (not produced to fit very well), or is it because there is some mods that don't close all the way?

If it's the former can you do some work to make it fit better? Those large gaps drive me nuts!

Thanks fellas.

Get over it. It's a handbuilt car. Embrace it's idiosyncrasies.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's designed that way and how it's supposed to look. "Air gap"? Not certain, but since anything is possible I don't imagine that it would take much to customize your own. Add a 1/2" colored tape/filler/palstic strip or space the headlights 1/4" higher and it would be unique. I like it - as long as it's an even gap on each side it's perfect.

The slanted Viper/Snake eyes/healdights need the shadow for eyebrow ridge. My '01 being a dark Sapphire doesn't show much of the eyebrow shadow.

Ted

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an American car, specifically Dodge, designed in the late 80's/early 90's and assembled in the 90's. Body gaps, good materials, and tight tolerances were not considered important.

Crashed cars and not properly closed hoods make this worse.

I don't suggest looking at the center gauges fitment with the dash. :omg:

Nick

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the "fitment doesn't matter" the gaps wouldn't be perfectly even - would they?

If it was a design flaw then the gaps would be different between cars and between right and left hand sides. Since the gaps are perfect they are obviously designed that way.

I guess you would just prefer no eyebrow gap? It's possible that gap was designed to prevent rubbing from the calmshell hood on the RT10s (they're slightly more flexible than the GTSs.

All 3 of my GTSs had perfect fitment on the guages and I've never seen any Vipers with bad fitment.

I choose Dodge for nearly all my cars because of their superior quality. No "junker engines, transmissions or rear axles". I did buy the other GM and Ford products and was seriously disappointed. As far as "North American", I definitely prefer North American products and don't like the idea of paying 50% tax for an inferior procduct. I would be ranting and raving about Toyota, except I never bought one. I would rant and rave about Honda, but I can't imagine driving any vehicles that slow. Although I can imagine myself driving an SL AMG I really can't imagine spending all that money and getting a car that will get spanked by nearly every Viper that pulls up beside me.

There are about 23 Dodges in my yard.

Exotics? Those 15,000 miles and pay $18,000 for a tune-up??? Unbelievable that a car company would expect you to plan your trips around maintenance appointments that cost as much as a Honda.

Quality? Ford says they're number one - but they don't even build a Viper competitive car to the Viper.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RTTTT, I am sorry but your post is hilarious.

1. American vehicles, of the genI/genII era, are notorious for HUGE body gaps. The genI/genII Viper's gap between the hood and headlights/front bumper cover is HORRIBLE.
I would prefer no eyebrow gap, smaller door gaps, and a smaller gap between the side sill and fender/door/hood. But the cars are between 8 and 18 years old, so most people pass it off. Including myself.

2. Go look at your gauges again. I've never seen a genI/genII with perfectly aligned gauges within the housings.
example currently on eBay:
Dodge : Viper : eBay Motors (item 110516175430 end time Apr-13-10 17:30:00 PDT)

3. Don't care why you like Dodge. We're talking about gaps on the Viper.

4. Don't care why you don't like Exotics.

The genI/genII Viper is a great looking car. But the body gaps are horrible, however most people that want the car, know it going into it.

Nick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32