Wheel center removal...

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a trick? With the '96, a special tool was supplied and there was a little slot to put the tool in.

How does the latest generation wheel center come off?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the wheel removed from the car, I used a the handle of small hammer and tapped it out from the back. It is held in by springy clips. Make sure that you are ready to catch it.

OP
OP
C

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's it? Have to take the wheel off and whack it from behind?
supergrin.gif
Is there a way to do it w/o taking the wheel off?

OP
OP
C

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimandela:
craig,
as i considered paint my center caps.
But did not want to have to remove the wheel too.

JIM
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I'm axing.
smile.gif

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys...unless you want to pry them off from the outside...from the rear is the way to go. once you pop them off, you will see that they are retained by several springy clips. Again..take the biggest hammer handle, or wooden dowel that you can fit in the back of the center cap, and gently tap it out. Be ready to catch it. C'mon guys..what's the big deal with pulling the wheels?

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Use a small suction cup -- of the type typically sold in car stores for pulling out dents. I can post a picture, but these are sold in various diameters, are made of black rubber and have a ring on the end so that you can yank on things pretty hard. Hope this helps...

-David

OP
OP
C

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David:
Use a small suction cup -- of the type typically sold in car stores for pulling out dents. I can post a picture, but these are sold in various diameters, are made of black rubber and have a ring on the end so that you can yank on things pretty hard.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There ya go. If the cup can clear the logo, this might work. (Versus: Jack up car, pull tire and wheel, remove center cap, paint it, replace it, replace wheel and re-tourque [properly] all lug nuts - all this multiplied by four. C'mon, I'm an engineer. Lookin' for efficient solutions.
supergrin.gif
)