Wheel hop

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering if all srt vipers have bad wheel hop .....mine seems to have extremely bad wheel hop. Sounds and feels like the car is coming unglued if i stay in it. I hate it but i hope its normal.......

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT stay into it when you get wheel hop!!! Wheel Hop is probably the single worst thing that can happen to a drive-train. It is the equivalent of multiple violent launches all in a row. Wheel hop can destroy axles, CV's, engine mounts, trans mounts... but MOST of all, differentials.

Wheel hop is normal for independant suspention cars, especially in cooler/damp weather. If you get it, let off immediately, then ease back into it. A couple skips during a shift is one thing, but bad wheel hop will make a very pronounced "banging" and "bouncing" effect. If you get it during the roll-on or if it continues after a shift, thats where major damage can occur. Wheel hop gets exponentially worse the longer you stay into it, or if you try to power through it. Think of it as a jackhammer...on your drivetrain. (or wallet)

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT stay into it when you get wheel hop!!! Wheel Hop is probably the single worst thing that can happen to a drive-train. It is the equivalent of multiple violent launches all in a row. Wheel hop can destroy axles, CV's, engine mounts, trans mounts... but MOST of all, differentials.

Wheel hop is normal for independant suspention cars, especially in cooler/damp weather. If you get it, let off immediately, then ease back into it. A couple skips during a shift is one thing, but bad wheel hop will make a very pronounced "banging" and "bouncing" effect. If you get it during the roll-on or if it continues after a shift, thats where major damage can occur. Wheel hop gets exponentially worse the longer you stay into it, or if you try to power through it. Think of it as a jackhammer...on your drivetrain. (or wallet)

good info to know!! I've only gotten bad wheel hop once and instead of letting off I floored it to see how long it'll take to go away....:eek: :eek: I'll remember never to do that again

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ummmm, well most of the time I do let off, but a couple of times at the track i did try to power out of it.
Never have any wheel hop in my vettes....? Those are IRS.
What else would cause wheel hop......

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search on this subject. There is much info on this.

As for what else could cause wheel hop. There are many factors that contribute to this. It's rather complex.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Many factors cause wheel hop as Skip says. Rough roads and too much power combine to get the wheels started "hopping". Stock run flat tires don't help.

I have found that wheel hop happens considerably less - and is almost gone - since switching to stiffer springs and Motons. Drag radials make it go away on the street for me.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with viper X the roads have a great deal to do with the wheel hop. there are undulating and not real flat roads in Jersey I get wheel hop when I nail second at 5000 rpms and other roads like the Garden state Parkway where I drive exactly the same and not get a bit of wheel hop.